absolutvision Z20wtGu1OH4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
absolutvision Z20wtGu1OH4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

So what’s for breakfast, pumpkin?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Toronto chapter.

Okay, so I’m really sorry if you’re one of those people that are really sad that summer’s over, but I’ve been waiting for fall to come back since it ended last year. I always keep it to myself during the summer because I feel like quite a Debbie Downer whenever I say “Ugh, I hate sweating, I hate summer,” during a pool party in July. 

However, the time has come, my friends. 

Sweater weather and riding boots and dark lipstick and crunchy leaves and sweet potatoes and pumpkins and apples and cinnamon and nutmeg and The. Best. Food. 

Just, ugh, right?

Now, I know you’re busy with everything this time of year, but please, try to cook a little something cozy for yourself, okay? You deserve it! Honestly, only a few things are more rewarding than eating a meal that you prepared yourself. Even better, pumpkin, is a proven superfood, leaving you with a full stomach with added beauty benefits! 

As soon as you see these chubby guys at the front of the grocery store, I know you get that little tingly excited feeling that Halloween is coming. I do, at least. If you’re too lazy to carve a pumpkin, like me, canned pumpkin is totally fine! It’s already mashed up for you and you’re more likely to eat this delicious super food if it’s already ready for you to use! 

Pumpkins are rich in carotenoids, which give them their rich signature orange hue. Carotenoids such as alpha-carotene and beta-carotene are powerful antioxidants that protect you from aging free radicals. The texture of your skin will remain youthful and studies have shown that carotenoids can repair UV damage. So all that tanning you did this summer shouldn’t be too big of a deal (as long as you wore sunscreen)!

Here’s my super healthy recipe for Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal! It’s takes hardly any time at all and you’d never know this smooth and creamy bowl of cosiness is packed with the right vitamins and enzymes to keep you looking gorgeous. 

Recipe:

Serves 1

1/4 cup quick cooking oats

Milk (enough to just submerge the oats)

1/4 cup mashed pumpkin

1/4 tsp allspice

1/4 tsp ground ginger

Optional- Maple Pecans and Raw Honey

Literally dump everything in the pot and set on medium heat. Using a heat proof spatula or wooden spoon mix all the ingredients together and let it sit for a few minutes. If you want your oatmeal a bit thicker, just leave it on the heat a bit longer, around 5 minutes. If you feel it got too thick too quickly, just add in a bit of milk to loosen things up! 

I like to make things a bit extra special so I picked up literally 10 cents worth of maple pecans from the bulk section of Whole Foods and I just put some on top to give a bit of a crunch! (Just like the crust of a pie, but without all that butter and carbs.)

I know it doesn’t look like a lot, but oatmeal really fills you up quickly which makes it perfect for mornings. You’ll know that you’ve had a healthy and delicious meal already so maybe you’re allowed to indulge into the glory that is the Pumpkin Spice Latte…Just go for it! 

Hopefully, this bowl of goodness got you in the mood for all things autumnal. Let me know if you’d like anymore recipes containing some of the fruits and veggies in season, you’d be doing your skin favour! Happy Autumn! 

Lots of love, 

Nipa