Red Carpet Glam: Award Season Looks Made Easy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Toronto chapter.

I don’t know about you, but I was definitely impressed by the 2015 Award Season! On the fashion and beauty front, our starlettes were absolutely killing it. Just imagine what each and every celeb had to do before getting onto the red carpet. They probably had their hair done by a celebrity stylist, their nails done at a trendy upscale salon, and had at least one make up professional per facial feature. Although students like us don’t usually have fancy balls or award shows to attend, that doesn’t mean we can’t get glammed up when we want to! 

Some of my most favorite looks from the 2015 Award Season came from Katy Perry, Rihanna, Chrissy Tiegen, and Lady Gaga. Ever wonder how to execute these looks on your own? I’ve created a step by step pictorial to guide you through it! Once you’ve got it down every side walk will turn into your own red carpet! I’ve got two words for you: Own it!

Katy Perry at the Grammy’s

How GORGEOUS was Katy Perry at the Grammy’s? Aside from the fact that she’s Katy Perry, her look mixes the old school glam of winged eye-liner with the contemporary and popular matte eye shadow trend. Did I mention her lashes yet? They are to die for!

To Get Her Look:

First we’re going to need some of the basics. Eyeliner, mascara, and an eyeshadow palette with neutrals. 

I recently got my hands on Loreal’s Double Extend Mascara and I’ve got to say that I’m LOVING it! I’m really surprised that this mascara goes for around 12-15 dollars in most stores. I think it outdoes more expensive mascaras by a long shot!

For KP’s look I’ll be using my Loreal Lineur Intense felt tip liner (left). For Rihanna’s look that’ll come after, I’ll be using Revlon’s Luxurious Color matte kohl eyeliner (right).

The eye-shadow palette I used to recreate these looks was Stila’s In the Know Palette. The payoff from these shadows is amazing and I love that they’re matte.

Here are the shades in the order I’ll be applying them: 

You’ll also need a couple of brushes. For this look I used a small, somewhat fluffy eye shadow brush (middle) with a large fluffy brush (left). I’ll be using my flat eye shadow brush (right) in a later look too! 

Let’s get started!

First, you want to apply your face make-up like you usually do, but skip the eyes. You can prime your eyes if you want, and once that’s done, you’re going to use a shade like #1 with a small fluffy brush to sweep it over your entire lid. After that, you’re going to take the same brush, lightly dusted with shade #2 and blend it between your brow bone, your crease, and the outer corner for your eye. 

Next, take shade #3 and apply it on the center of your lid.

After you’ve done that, take shade #4 and apply it to the inner corner of your eye with a big fluffy brush. Feel free to use a more shimmery shadow to make your eyes pop!

The last step is to apply eye-liner and mascara. Don’t be afraid to exaggerate the wing and to curl your lashes!

I obviously didn’t coat my lashes enough for Katy-esque lashes. Feel free to pop on some falsies if you want to replicate her sweeping eyelashes. Anyway – here is the final look. This look is definitely one that can be transformed from day to night with just a touch of shimmery shadow and falsies.

Chrissy Tiegen at the Oscars

With those luscious lips, John Legend is definitely a lucky man to have this beauty for his wife! They make a great couple no? Here’s what you might need to achieve Chrissy’s lips:

For this look, I’ll be using one of my favorites, Smashbox’s Be Legendary Lipstick in Fig, along with Maybelline’s Color Sensational Lipstick in Deepest Cherry (below):

I bet you can definitely tell how often I use this shade. I love the richness and depth of this color! 

Let’s Get Started:

To get Chrissy’s look, start off by lining your lips. You can fill them in with the liner if you want, but that’s not necessary. I decided to line them with my L’Oreal lip liner in Rose, but you can use a liner that’s more similar to the shade of the lipstick you’ll be using. I would have, but I just didn’t have one at the time.

Next, you want to take the Smashbox Lipstick in Fig (or a color similar to it) and apply it to your lips. Don’t worry if the edges aren’t as crisp as you’d like, you can fix it later on with some concealer.

Once that’s done, take the Maybelline lipstick and apply it on the outer parts of your lips. You want to keep the edges more saturated than the inside of your lip because it adds dimension. After you’ve finished applying it, you can take a concealer brush along with some concealer, and clean the edges of your lips. Here’s what it’ll look like once you’ve finished: 

You can definitely keep this look matte, or use darker lipstick shades to get that blood red color Chrissy was rocking at the Oscars.

Rihanna at the Grammy’s

This extreme close-up proves what a natural beauty Rihanna is! She definitely played up her natural beauty with a nude lip and neutral shadows. To get her eye shadow look, I’ll be using my Stila palette and these shades:

For some extra shimmer, I’ll also be using my Cover Girl Quad for its metallic gold shade.

To start things off, use a small fluffy brush and apply shade #1 to your entire lid. Next, (kind of like the KP look earlier) using the same brush, take shade #2 and work it into your crease and the outer corner of your eye, close to your browbone.

Afterwards, take the flat eye shadow brush, coat it with a gold shimmery shade (shade #3) and apply it to the center of your lid. If shimmer is one of your favorite things, definitely don’t be afraid to pat it on generously!

Once you’ve finished, you can use an eyeliner pencil (like the Revlon Kohl Liner I posted above) and line your upper lash line as close to your lashes as possible. I know it might be difficult, but try not to create a wing at the end. After that’s done, apply some mascara.

Here’s the finished look:

Lady Gaga at the Grammy’s

Hands down, Lady Gaga gave one of the best performances at the Grammy’s EVER. Her voice was absolutely memorizing, and her rendition of the songs from The Sound of Music gave me goosebumps. She was absolutely angelic on stage, along with her makeup. Although I couldn’t really get a nice close-up of her eyes, I found her red carpet look instead. It might be a little out there and glitter central, but I gave it a try for fun. I’ve got to say it would look great for a crazy night out partying.

To get her look, I used another Cover Girl Quad that is basically all about the shine and shimmer.

I am using the Cover Girl Quad I used earlier, just for the metallic grey shade. Just a side note, this look is nowhere near as shimmery as Lady Gaga wore it, but you can definitely tweak it to suit your preferences. Also, I didn’t have blue so I used green. You’ll need some sort of under eye/cheek shield like your hand or scotch tape because I found that the glimmery bits migrated their way down to my cheek halfway through this process.

Let’s Get Started!

First, use the small fluffy brush to apply shade #1 all over your lid, taking it just above your lid but not touching your brow. Then, take shade #2 and apply it to your outer lid. Blend it well and try to create a kind of exaggerated wing to fit your eye shape. 

Next, take shade #3, and apply it to the middle of your lid. Blend it into shade #2 and just a little into shade #1. Next, you want to apply some liquid eyeliner with a really exaggerated wing to match the wing you created with your eyeshadow. Make sure the wing you drew with you eye liner separates the shadow from the rest your face.

Lastly, you want to coat your lashes with as much mascara as possible! We’re going big on the glitter anyway, so we might as well go big or go home!

Here’s the finished look:

P.S: If you are thinking of going as Poison Ivy for Halloween next year, this look will definitely add some glamor to your costume!

Whether you’re walking the red carpet at the Oscars, or just walking down St. George to get to class, know that you can add a little bit of glamour to your everyday beauty routine without getting the celebrity treatment to do so (although if I had the choice I’d love some pampering, even if it costs a bajillion dollars). Glamor on, ladies! 

Photo Sources:

http://www.justjared.com/2015/02/22/scarlett-johansson-shows-off-her-kil…

http://www.eumaquio.com/maquiagem-makeup-grammy-2015/

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lk6jmqZLbr1qixleeo1_400.gif

http://www.celebrities8.com/style/oscars-2015-hair-and-makeup-on-the-red…

http://fashionusmagazine.blogspot.ca/2015/02/rihanna-2015-grammys.html

http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-beauty/pictures/grammys-2015-beauty-…

http://www.vh1.com/celebrity/search/Paris+Bangs/feed/rss2/

I'm a Shakespeare loving, eyebrow obsessing beauty junkie, who adores all things having to do with Harry Potter, delicious food, and good music. After 4 years I've finally graduated from the oh so wonderful, University of Toronto and am currently working toward a Masters of Information degree.  I'd like to think of myself as a modern day romantic with an unquenchable wanderlust. My current dream is to one day go on an international library hopping adventure! For an aspiring special collections librarian, that is definitely at the top of my list post-graduation. I am a frequent visitor of the ROM and love going see the Nutcracker during the holidays. As a Decemeber baby myself, I absolutely love the winter time, the snow, the holiday cheer, and the half coffee half hot chocolates I get from Timmys. As for music, my likes are pretty much across the board! From John Mayer to Sam Smith, Debussy to Duke Ellington, Xtina to today's pop hits, you'll find me somewhere in the middle.On a regular day, you'll probably find me at home with my dog Kacy on a Mad Men binge, or catching up with Once Upon a Time, The Good Wife, How To Get Away With Murder and Suits- ps. I love netflix!