Quidditch Playing Campus Cutie: Darren Cheng

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Toronto chapter.

Meet Darren, a third year student in Neuroscience and Psychology. He is in Victoria College and loves to draw, read, and play Quidditch.

Name: Darren Cheng

Hometown: Toronto

College: Victoria

Year of Study: 3rd

Major: Neuroscience and Psychology

Relationship Status: Taken

Question Period

Q: Describe yourself in a few words.

Awkward but enthusiastic.

Q: Why did you choose UofT?

Short commute from home and the beautiful architecture… And I guess it being the top university in Canada helps too.

Q: Tell us about your dream career.

I haven’t really figured that part out yet. But probably something that involves working with people but also gives me time alone… Because everyone needs a break from people sometimes.

Q: What’s the best place to hang out on campus, and why?

Vic Campus – in the quad or Cat’s Eye. There are always great people there and the atmosphere is fantastic.

Q: Are you on residence, commuting, or living off-campus (or other)? How do you feel about living in Toronto?

Commuting from home. I’ve lived in the city my whole life so I don’t have anything else to compare it to. It’s a great city, though, there’s always stuff to do and places to see. In the two decades I’ve been around, I still keep finding new places and events I never knew existed.

Q: What do you do in your spare time? (Are there any clubs/events that are geared towards that hobby?)

Draw, read, eat, Tumblr, occasionally get some exercise.

No clubs encompass all these things… But the Quidditch club comes pretty close.

Q: Recommend a book for us.

Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood is a really interesting one.

Q: Give us some words of wisdom (a quote) from someone you admire.

“At the end of the day, you need to be happy. If you can’t be, then how can you make sure anyone else is?”

Q: What would you say has been your biggest accomplishment at UofT? Biggest challenge?

Surviving it this far and figuring out the general direction I want to take with my life. It’s not an easy thing, attending the best school in the country while trying to work out what path would suit our interests. So far I think I’m doing alright.

Q: Do you have any big plans for the coming school year? What are some of your goals (academic, social, or personal)?

Do readings earlier. I said it last year but I didn’t quite follow through. Now that this is a public declaration, maybe I’ll have the little extra motivation I needed.

First-year social science student planning to major in Criminology or Ethics, Society, and Law.