Quick Ways To Boost Your Energy And Lighten Your Mood

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Toronto chapter.

Feeling as if you just can’t hang in any longer? Are you just about ready to unleash your frustration on anyone or anything that so much as gets on your nerves? For many of us, the answer to these questions is a definite and resounding: YES! With Christmas break quickly becoming a distant memory, and the stress of work, school, extra-curriculars, or a combination of the three mounting, most of us are counting the very seconds until reading week arrives to give us at least temporary relief. Although it may seem impossible, there are a few things that we can do to make the wait a little less agonizing. You don’t necessarily need a holiday or study week to be content, as crazy as it may seem, we have the power to cheer ourselves up, and it doesn’t take much effort. So what exactly are these magical remedies to getting out of that post-holiday funk?

1. Exercise
I know many of us groan whenever we hear the E word but it doesn’t change the fact that it’s one of the most effective cures for an agitated mind, and not to mention, just about the best thing you can do for your body as well! For those still moaning at the very thought of having to break a sweat, just take a deep breath. Simply taking a walk, swimming, or engaging in any other physical activity that gets you off the couch can give you that beloved feeling of satisfaction. The result? An energy high that’ll probably last for most of the day, and to top it off, you’ll feel naturally rejuvenated!

2. Stay away from certain foods

I know that this may seem like aggravating advice, and many of us are tired of hearing it. However, it is a perfect way to quickly increase your energy and even improve your mood. Now this doesn’t mean that we have to restrict ourselves to a strict diet that depends entirely upon celery sticks and water. Just keeping away from highly processed, deep fried foods or those that have ingredients you’re too frightened to ask about is enough. Whole-wheat sandwiches, yogurts, granola, salads are all just a few examples of foods that are both healthy and taste amazing. Remember to opt for creativity in your choices and a diversity of foods to ensure you don’t get bored with your meals. Not only does this all save your body from the havoc a Big Mac unleashes upon your stomach, but it also fuels your brain while bringing crankiness and sluggishness down to a minimum.

3. Spend time with those you care about
In this day in age, it seems as though all face to face human interaction has been replaced with such social phenomenons as Facebook and text-messaging. The convenience of these technologies just seems more appealing than the trouble of making time in our hectic schedules to for friends and family. Those who live on residence encounter the problem of being separated from loved ones, and for those who live at home, no one ever seems to be available at the same time. This makes bonding with friends and family incredibly difficult, if not impossible. Although this situation may seem hopeless, rest assured there are ways to overcome it. Whether it be a quick lunch with a friend on campus or hearing a loved one’s voice over the phone, anyone can find time in their day for some old-fashioned communication with others. Companionship is the perfect cure for a discouraged spirit, and excellent motivation for enduring life’s seemingly endless obstacles.

4. Do something you truly enjoy
It doesn’t necessarily have to be anything extraordinary or time consuming. Simply reading a book for leisure, watching a film or listening to music can all lessen the tension of a chaotic and disheartening day. Hobbies are incredibly soothing, as they involve activities we are actually fond of doing, rather than those we are obligated to do. Many will admit that they would love nothing more than to engage in a favorite pastime, but simply can’t find the time to do so. However, this response fails to consider the fact that a making time for a hobby does not necessarily require anyone to completely change their schedule. All of us can afford to at least take a mere half an hour a day to draw, dance, or do whatever else we take pleasure in. To tackle the endless dramas of life, your mind needs the occasional break from all the pressure that’s placed upon it, and hobbies are definitely one of the most fulfilling ways to provide this relief!

So there you have it, abandon all your excuses, and just embrace the variety of options you have right at your fingertips to attain the bliss you so desperately crave!

Natalie has recently completed her second year at the University of Toronto with a double major in History and Ethics, Society, and Law. She is excited to bring Her Campus to U of T and seeing it expand its presence in Canada. She is also active in the school's Model United Nations circles and numerous organizations off campus and is best described as a political and pop culture junkie. Born and raised in Toronto, she is blindingly proud of everything the city has to offer including the best school in the country, no matter what Macleans says, and its sports teams, no matter how many times they may lose or miss the playoffs.