This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Toronto chapter.

Edited By: Joy Jiang

Periods. We love them because they assure us we are not pregnant, but we hate them because they are so much pain — and they are expensive.

Here is a list of quick hacks to ease the pain, and a list of subscription boxes to prepare for your periods.

1. Over the counter medications

Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, or NSAIDs, like ibuprofen (Advil) will work wonders for menstrual pain, and heavy bleeding.

2. Apply hot water bottle

Use can use hot water bottle, or heating pads and apply them to your abdomen, and lower back. If you don’t have one, you can DIY a heating pad.

3. Massage

Massage therapy with essential oils can relieve menstrual pain. Try using lavender, cinnamon, rose, and don’t be afraid to mix them to make something that comforts you the most.

4. Exercise

Yes, exercise seems impossible during periods, but it is worth it! Exercising releases endorphins (a happiness hormone), which can reduce the perception of pain in our body by acting similarly to drugs like morphine, and codeine. Try gentle exercises, or yoga.

5. Maintain a healthy diet

Drink warm water, drink chamomile, or ginger tea, and eat foodstuffs high in fibre like papaya, brown rice, walnuts, leafy vegetables, and chicken. Avoid foods with trans-fatty acids like French fries, and cookies.

Monthly subscription boxes

This is for those of you who might run out of sanitary pads at the wrong time!

1. My Petal Club ($6.99 a month)

This box delivers high quality pads, and tampons.

2. Tampon Tribe ($8 a month) 

This box comes with 100% certified organic pads, panty liners and pads.

3. Period Club ($14.99-$19.99 a month) 

This box comes with tampons, pans, liners, and Hershey kisses. You can also add green tea, and 2 packets of Midol.

4. Kali ($16-$22.89 a month) 

This box lets you choose between a variety of options, and each box contains a varied number of organic pads, tampons, panty liners, and a pampering product.

5. Bonjour Jolie ($22.50 a month – shipping included)

This box comes with menstrual items, special teas, hygiene wipes, and special bath and body pampering items.  

Image 1 | Image 2 | Image 3 | Image 4 | Image 5 | Image 6 | Image 7

Avleen is a recent graduate from the University of Toronto, finishing her Double Major in English, and Professional Writing and Communication with a Minor in History. She was an editor with UTM Scribes, contributor to The Medium newspaper, maintained a WordPress research blog, and has been part of the Her Campus community since 2017. Check out more of Avleen's content on her WordPress blog http://loveandthelaws.wordpress.com