Our New First Lady’s Got Style! Introducing Sophie Gregoire-Trudeau

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Toronto chapter.

Our new Prime Minister isn’t the only Trudeau with great hair! Meet our new First Lady, Sophie Gregoire-Trudeau:

That’s right lovelies, this blog will be dedicated to our stunning first lady and her style! Although we haven’t seen much of her yet, I’m sure that’ll change once her husband and our new Prime Minster, Justin Trudeau, gets settled into office. If her pre-election fashion choicses are any indication of her style, we can definitely expect great things from her. Michelle Obama and her Oscar de la Renta gown better brace themselves!

Here’s a bit of background: Sophie Gregoire-Trudeau isn’t just the first lady, she’s also a TV personality, activist, volunteer, yoga teacher, and mother of three. As a native of Montreal, she attended McGill University and graduated with a BA in Communications. Before becoming an entertainment reporter, she worked as a personal shopper at Holt Renfrew, according to the Huffington Post. Doesn’t this already sound like the greatest style story ever told? HOLT RENFREW, GIRLS.

Sophie’s bio is pretty inspiring, so if you’d like to find out a little more about her there are a lot of articles floating around the internet. I wonder if she’ll come out with a book in the future because I’d definitely read it… BUT this blog is about her style, so let’s get to it, shall we?

Up first, her wedding gown!

Looking absolutely radiant on her wedding day, Sophie chose to wear a beaded wedding dress with some lace accents and a slight capsleve. She isn’t too conservative though, cause she’s rockin‘ that deep v cut! Keeping her make up light and natural, I think she’s got that vintage classic kind of style. Timeless and classy, her gorgeous veil and drop pearl earrings pair so well with her dress!

They definitely make a beautiful couple! After 10 years of marriage, it’s pretty obvious that they’re still head over heels in love with each other. Has anyone seen this yet? I  mean, if this isn’t relationship/ marriage goals, I don’t know what is!

Next Up: Her Business/Boss Lady Style

As a professional herself, the wife of a former MP, and now a first lady, you’d expect that Sophie Gregoire Trudeau would have a closet full of pant suits. To our great surprise that isn’t the case! Although I’m sure she does have some stylish pant suits lying around, I wouldn’t classify her boss lady style as boring. I mean, just look at the picture directly above, those are a great pair of nude pumps! And that jacket? It’s beautifully structured and she wears it so well!

From what I’ve been seeing around the internet, she seems to favor form fitting midlength dresses, simple but classy, she can definitely pull them off! Dressing them up with a statement belt like the middle image, she adds her own personal flare to her outfit that we can appreciate! It’s no wonder the New York Post is calling her “the hottest first lady in the world.” 

Her Semi Casual/Casual Style

This mother of 3 hasn’t fallen prey to mom jeans and frumpy sweaters! In keeping with what we’ve seen so far from her, her classic style features minimalist designs with clean lines and neutral colors (like the first image). She does have some really pretty floral print pieces too (middle image). 

Up Next: Semi-formal/Formal Style

Wait a minute, I’ve seen this look before…

UM, Sophie took a page out of Beyonce’s style guide, and she looks AMAZING. Bey and our new first lady have something in common!!!!!!!!!!!!!

First lady or not, Sophie Gregoire Trudeau knows how to rock the red carpet- I still can’t get over her gold dress (first image)! I can’t wait to see what she wears to the next big event. The internet has been blowing up about how hot our new Prime Minister is, but let’s be real- Justin and Sophie are IMO the hottest couple in politics right now. 

Last But Not Least: Her Yoga Style

As a practicing yogi, I think it’s safe to say that she loves yoga wear. SO BASICALLY, she gets us and shares our love of yoga pants. Need I say more?

So in a nutshell, I’d say that I’m loving Sophie Gregoire-Trudeau’s style thus far. I can’t wait to see what she wears in the future! After writing this blog I’ve got to say that I think I’ve become emotionally invested in Justin and Sophie’s relationship. They are so many types of goals! Since Halloween was just a couple of days ago, here’s a picture of their beautiful family trick-or-treating for your viewing pleasure – with Mr. and Mrs. Trudeau as Han and Leia:

How adorable are they??? Like I said, GOALS.

Photo Sources:

I'm a Shakespeare loving, eyebrow obsessing beauty junkie, who adores all things having to do with Harry Potter, delicious food, and good music. After 4 years I've finally graduated from the oh so wonderful, University of Toronto and am currently working toward a Masters of Information degree.  I'd like to think of myself as a modern day romantic with an unquenchable wanderlust. My current dream is to one day go on an international library hopping adventure! For an aspiring special collections librarian, that is definitely at the top of my list post-graduation. I am a frequent visitor of the ROM and love going see the Nutcracker during the holidays. As a Decemeber baby myself, I absolutely love the winter time, the snow, the holiday cheer, and the half coffee half hot chocolates I get from Timmys. As for music, my likes are pretty much across the board! From John Mayer to Sam Smith, Debussy to Duke Ellington, Xtina to today's pop hits, you'll find me somewhere in the middle.On a regular day, you'll probably find me at home with my dog Kacy on a Mad Men binge, or catching up with Once Upon a Time, The Good Wife, How To Get Away With Murder and Suits- ps. I love netflix!
Lucian Wang is an Editor with HerCampus UToronto, after starting out as a Writer in his first year. He is currently double majoring in Political Science, along with Biodiversity and Conservation Biology. Apparently you can do that. Along with HerCampus, he is also involved with the University of Toronto Pre-Law Society as its Vice-President - a little more vice than president.  He hopes to pursue law school after he completes his undergraduate degree. He enjoys listening to music (consisting largely of an unhealthy fascination with Taylor Swift), looking damn good in a suit, and spending far too much time staring at his pet turtle. He does not enjoy walking or the beach, so long walks there are out of the question.