you x ventures Oalh2MojUuk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
you x ventures Oalh2MojUuk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The New Year Through UofT’s Undergrad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Toronto chapter.

As the new year approaches, many people take the time to reflect on their previous year and set goals and ambitions for the upcoming year. This experience is different depending on each person’s situation, and as undergraduate students, most of us have many things on our mind as we enter the new year. I had the opportunity to interview three undergraduate students from second year, third year and fourth year on their personal goals for 2018, what they believe most people in their year think about, and how being an undergrad changes their perspective on the new year.

Second Year: Kayli Chen

Major in Neuroscience, Minor in Physiology and Immunology

What do you think most people in your year think about going into the new year?

I think most of the people in my year are starting to worry about finding research opportunities for the summer, especially if they didn’t do so last year. December and January are the months where most upper years will tell you to start sending out applications, so it’s a bit stressful in that sense.

What are your personal goals and resolutions (academic and non-academic) going into 2018?

Over the past few months, I’ve been working on maintaining a healthier lifestyle. For most of my life, academics have taken a priority, but I’ve come to realize how important it is to take care of yourself before all else. In the new year, I’m hoping to continue putting happiness as my primary goal in life, rather than trying to get a 4.0 GPA.

How do you think your views and perspective on the new year changes as an undergrad?

I think that the older I get, the more I value my friends and family. Time is so valuable and it’s important to recognize where you want to invest your hours when you’re not sleeping, studying, or at school. Nonetheless, I’m sure that everyone would also agree that the closer you get to the end of undergrad, the more you worry about what you want to do afterward. The impact of adulthood becomes much more real and it makes you think about your long-term goals.

Third Year: Ann Onella Wijayanandan

Double Major in Bioinformatics and Computational Biology

Other than net neutrality, a common trend I’ve noticed has been that people are more attentive to their health both mentally and physically. It’s easy to put aside your well being as a freshman or sophomore when everything seems so overwhelming and you’re still in the process of digesting these new responsibilities. Lately, I keep hearing about friends trying various diets and increasing their daily physical activity; this motivates me to also allocate time for such activity.

Looking towards the new year, I am keen on setting a more structured schedule for my free time. Sometimes I spend the whole day doing school work when I could make the same progress in less time from simply working more productively! This way I can get my work done and also have some time for activities such as running.

Before I looked at the new year as a daunting obstacle to have to survive once again, but lately I am more excited than anything else to get out there and really chase and conquer these same obstacles.

Fourth Year: Veronica Vatsa

Major in Economics, Minors in Environmental Studies and French Studies

I think that everyone is incredibly excited to start a new chapter in their lives. However, there is also an underlying feeling of nervousness about the uncertainty of the future. Being in school and university for our entire lives, we have gotten used to living according to a preset structure and feel very secure in it. Once we graduate, we will have to find our own niche and create own own lives in the way that we desire. But that is also the most thrilling part about graduation! It is liberating!

My personal goals are to become healthier and take up at least one sport as a hobby. My academic goals are to work my hardest, build strong relationships with my professors and TAs and get the best grades that I can.

As an undergrad, a new year means another semester. Meeting new friends and inspiring professors, learning from their experiences and growing as a person. This also means that I have another chance to prove to myself that I can survive the hardships of university! I try to plan my time in a way that can allow me to try new extra-curricular activities and even get some professional experience if possible to explore the various things out there that I may want to pursue after graduation. But what I look forward to the most is making plans for where I want to travel next while not having stressful things like getting a mortgage for a house on my mind just yet.

Across all years, one of the most important common goals seems to be mental and physical health. With the stresses of undergrad, it can be easy to forget to take care of our health. It’s a very important aspect of our lives, and the new year can be a great way to add self-care to our habits. Have a happy and healthy 2018!

Interviewee images belong to corresponding interviewee

Header Image