samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Toronto chapter.

The coolest thing about the University of Toronto is that there is so much going on all of the time, it’s hard to take it all in sometimes. From college and faculty culture to University-wide events to even changes in terms of our student unions, you’re bound to find something new and exciting at or around campus. While there are so many things to get involved with, sometimes it’s hard to manage being not only involved, but keeping up with the real reason we’re all here and paying tuition for. This week, I talked to Josh Calafuto, a guy whose held a couple of fantastic positions, both in the faculty of Engineering and on the UTSU, and still manages to give off an exuberance that’s contagious to those around him. 

Can you briefly describe all of the titles you’ve had and currently hold? Which one is/was your favourite?

Over the past few years at Skule I’ve been Mr. Blue and Gold 1T5, Faculty of Engineering Representative on the UTSU Board of Directors, a Head Leedur for the Gamma Frosh group, and First Year Chair for the Engineering Society.  These titles are all pretty self explanatory, except maybe the first one, and my favourite, Mr Blue and Gold.  Mr B&G is a Skule mascot picked once a year, and has the responsibilities of representing the Skule community, spreading Skule spirit, and dropping pants on command.  It has been my favourite title because of what it stands for in the Skule community.  Engineering at UofT has been a second home for me ever since I joined the faculty in 2013. The values it upholds, the people it contains, and the memories it creates are all incredible, and I can’t imagine my life without this community.  Being able to represent it — even in a way as seemingly silly as dropping my pants — is a great honour for me, and I am grateful for it every day.

Do you find it difficult being a part of SKULE™culture, having a position on the UTSU, as well as keeping up with everything else? How do you manage?

It can get quite difficult keeping up with school work while still being involved in the community and having a personal life, and I would be lying if I told you that I manage them all perfectly.  There are times where I have to stray away from some responsibilities to deal with others, and other times when I’m just too tired to do anything, but I always try to be present in the activities that I’m doing.  It all comes down to your goals, really.  How much time you spend on something should be related to what you want to accomplish with it, and those goals need to be dynamic as you go through the year and grow as a person.  I guess I “manage” by trying to figure out what kind of person I am and want to be.  If that involves academic success, I spend more time on school, if it involves the communities I’m in, I work on being updated on what’s happening.  It’s really hard to please everyone or to put 100% of yourself into every project you take on, so I try to do my best within the range of things I’d like to achieve.

How does it feel being memorialized in Engineering via the mural of you and Godiva’s Crown in the pit?

Quite weird, actually, and pretty amazing as well.  I’ve always loved the Skule community for the things they’ve done for me, the lessons they’ve taught me, and the friends I’ve made here.  The SF atrium has given me too many memories to recount, so being memorialized on one of the walls is quite surreal to me.  I hope I’ve actually done enough to warrant the honour, and the fact that someone thought I did is incredibly flattering.

So you ran, and won, for positions on EngSoc and on the UTSU. Was it different running for either position, or relatively similar?

Running for the UTSU was definitely more stressful than running for EngSoc positions, probably due to the historic tensions between engineers and the UTSU, as well as those between the incumbent slate and the slate I was running on, Brighter.  In either case, though, I met kind people who helped me speak to my constituents, helped me plan my campaign, and – most importantly – helped me decide what I actually wanted to accomplish.   

What do you feel is a misconception about being on the UTSU, and/or on EngSoc?

I don’t really think that there are any misconceptions or incorrect stereotypes about either organization.  I haven’t been surprised by the actions I’ve seen or events that occurred in either organization.

Other than holding all of these positions, what other things are you involved with around University?

In terms of University of Toronto activities, the above just about sums it up, unless you want to count the hours I spend in class or studying.  Outside of the school, though, I play violin and guitar for a local Toronto band called Nords.  Playing music has always meant a lot to me, so this s a big part of my extracurricular life, and I’m elated to have been able to keep performing and practicing with such talented musicians, even with such a laborious academic schedule.

What advice can you give to those who are interested in wanting to make changes to UofT, getting involved, and/or are considering running for any position, big or small?

The best advice I can give anyone is to figure out what makes them happy, and do that.  I find that many of us (myself included) get caught up in the idea of participating in as many things as possible, trying to contribute that every group that sounds impressive or amusing without actually considering your own personal stake in the affair.  If you want to make changes to something, you have to care about it, so make sure that whatever you’re applying yourself in is meaningful.  You’ll be able to accomplish much more and you’ll be much happier for it in the long run.

Architecture Design Major at the University of Toronto, Class of 2018
Lucian Wang is an Editor with HerCampus UToronto, after starting out as a Writer in his first year. He is currently double majoring in Political Science, along with Biodiversity and Conservation Biology. Apparently you can do that. Along with HerCampus, he is also involved with the University of Toronto Pre-Law Society as its Vice-President - a little more vice than president.  He hopes to pursue law school after he completes his undergraduate degree. He enjoys listening to music (consisting largely of an unhealthy fascination with Taylor Swift), looking damn good in a suit, and spending far too much time staring at his pet turtle. He does not enjoy walking or the beach, so long walks there are out of the question.