Love it or Leave it: 2014 Style vs. Spring 2015 Trends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Toronto chapter.

With all the snow that’s been covering our beautiful campus lately, it’s been a little hard to look forward to spring right? Trudging through the snow has NOT been fun, and that nippy winter air has definitely taken its toll on our delicate skin!Don’t you worry lovelies, even though it doesn’t feel like it, spring is definitely on its way. We can all feel a little more hopeful thanks to magazines like Vogue, Glamor, Harper’s Bazar, and Cosmo, since they’ve all published predictions on the beauty and fashion trends that are coming our way once spring rolls around! Soon enough, we’ll be walking around without all our bulky winter gear, with the smell of freshly bloomed flowers in the air, and wearing very light jackets!

Curious about what beauty trends are sticking around? Which ones are popping up? Which ones are being banished from 2015?A little while ago, Cosmopolitan magazine published an article called “21 Beauty Trends That Need To Die in 2015.” In the article, the popular magazine  tells us which trends to leave behind, and which trends to pick up in time for spring! I thought it would be fun to compare the trends and give my opinion on them. To give this piece a little bit of a twist, I’ve asked my boyfriend Michael to give me a guy’s perspective on them as well. I’ve got to say, some of his opinions really surprised me! Basically, I’ll give you our first impressions of the trends, unfiltered!

*Just a heads up before we start, we won’t be commenting on the whole 21 – just our favorites, so we can have some space to talk about some fashion trends too!

Trend One: Forced Curls vs. Natural Waves

So, according to Cosmo, done-up hair like Carrie Underwood’s (left) looks too put together and should stay in 2014. The author praises the effortless waves of the model on the right instead.

He said: I don’t think I like the one on the right. Her hair looks oily and flat. When was the last time she took a bath? (Obviously he has no filter)

She said: I like Carrie’s curls better, even though she’s ‘done-up’ her curls are bouncy and voluminous!

He said: TBH, if you decide to curl your hair, shouldn’t they actually be curly?

She Said:The 2015 trend (right) looks like she curled her hair like Carrie, went to the club, and two hours later took a selfie.

Verdict: We are both no go’s on this new trend! Go on girls, put some curl in your curls! We’re choosing to love the 2014 look, and leave the 2015 look because the image on the right doesn’t particularly give off the kind of glamor that the image on the left does. 

Trend 2: Noticeable contouring vs, Natural contouring

A theme we noticed in this article is an emphasis on more ‘natural’ looks, as in looks that say, “I’m wearing make-up but in a way that doesn’t look like I’m wearing make-up.” It’s no surprise then that Cosmo sides with a more natural take on contouring (right) rather than Naya Rivera’s (left) more noticeable approach. 

He said: Nope! I don’t think it matters if its subtle or not, it’s about how well you structure your cheek bones. I like the 2014 one better.

She said: I mean, let’s be real here. I think the model on the right looks great with her natural contouring, but she’s a model! Her bone structure is already fabulous so I don’t think she needs to do much to it. I’m not saying Naya doesn’t have great bone structure, but for someone like me to get cheek bones, my bronzer has to be put to work! I’d rather go with the noticeable look.

Verdict:Seems like we’re both loving the noticeable contouring look and leaving the more natural look. We think it both depends on what suits your face more. But hey, if you’ve got the cheekbones of a supermodel, definitely keep it natural! 

Trend 3: Super-Dark Smoky Eyes vs. A Blended Smoky Eye

Cosmo says smoky eyes should have dimension, like the image on the right, instead of having the same dark color unblended on your lids like the image on the left. We definitely agree!

She said:What is with this picture? WHO ACTUALLY LOOKS LIKE THIS? (referring to the image on the left), I feel like she (I think she was in Gossip Girl?) doesn’t know what she’s doing, like she did her own makeup, in the dark. The model on the right definitely had her makeup done by a pro.

He said: She reminds of a racoon. Or Rocky during the part of the boxing match when he can’t defend himself. (LOL)

Verdict: We are loving the 2015 version of the smoky eye, and hoping that the 2014 version, which apparently is much more popular than we think, will stay in the past! The image on the right is much more flattering. It’s the perfect mix of cool and sexy, where the image on the left looks more like a black eye.

Trend 4: Ombre vs, Balayage

Cosmo has us two for two here. We both LOVE Jessica Biel’s hair (right) and want to leave Ciara’s (left) awkward ombre asap!

She said:This is my pet peeve with ombre. There should be a really nice transition when your hair goes from dark to light like ombre does, instead of a really harsh line where the color just changes. Ciara’s hair goes straight from black to blonde and it looks horrible.

He said:Her (Jessica Biel on the right) hair is really pretty. Ciara looks washed out.

She said: It is pretty! I want to color my hair like that now.

He said: DO IT!

Verdict:As you can tell from my hair envy and Michael’s excitement, we are both loving the balayage and leaving ombre in the past. Balayage adds really nice dimension to Jessica Biel’s hair. She looks gorgeous and SO well put together. Ciara on the other hand, well, let’s just say her ombre locks can 1, 2 step out of 2015! Ombres like that are definitely not supersonic, or funky fresh. 

(I used to LOVE this song back in the day!)

Trend 5: All Over Shadow vs. A Pop of Color

The last of the makeup trends we’ll be comparing is Avril Lavigne’s bright and overdone eye-shadow (left) and the 2015 trend on the on model on the right. Let’s be honest, why are we even  comparing the two? 

He said: Don’t hate me but I think I like the one on the left better.

She said: Are you serious?! WHY?!?!?!

He said: Yeah, only because the theme of the year looks like everythings supposed to be more natural, and the 2015 trend (right) does not look natural.

She said:And you think Avril looks natural?!?!?! The 2015 look isn’t so bad, I think it only looks odd because the color is a little bright, a little neon-y. I think something less bright, like a royal blue, burgundy, or violet would look really pretty!

He said: I’m just trying to make things interesting!

Verdict:Well, we’re obviously split on this one. But like any girl in a long term relationship, I’ve convinced him to see things my way. We (sort of) are choosing to love the 2015 trend and are definitely leaving Avril’s eye shadow overload in 2014. Pops of color are fun, not to mention playful and chic. You can dress them down by only lining the bottom of your winged liner, or the inner corners of your eye, or dress them up by completely lining your eyes instead! Either way, I guarantee you that Avril will have nothing on you!

Predicted Fashion Trends Thanks to Glamour Magazine:

Trend 1: Gingham

Even though Glamour says Gingham prints have a, “sexy swingy vibe,” Michael and I disagree, but only a little!

He said:I don’t know why this would be popular…

She said: Right? The one in the middle reminds me of a suit that Queen Elizabeth would wear. The one on the right is promising though, I think I would pair the high waisted skirt with a simple black crop top though, so my outfit wouldn’t be Gingham overload.

He said: If I saw you wearing that, I would tell you straight up that you look weird.

Verdict:We are divided! I think moderation is definitely key here. Too much print and you might remind people of the Queen, but apart from the fact that she’s like 100, what might be wrong with that? We are loving it but only if it’s not overwhelming.

Trend 2: Culottes

For those of you who didn’t know what culottes were (like Michael and I before we googled it) they are what the models are wearing on their bottom halves!

He said: These look like the kind of capri’s Avril Lavigne wore in her old music video!

She said: (I actually laughed out loud) I’m not a fan, they remind me of maternity capris. They don’t really give you any shape, they just kind of, hang there.

Verdict: We are leaving these capris and loving a shorter version of them! We both agree that they aren’t really that flattering. Sorry glamour but, why’d you have to go and make things too complicated? 

Here’s what the shorter version looks like:

Trend 3: One Shoulder Cuts

Glamor raves about shoulders being the sexiest part of your body, and we definitely agree!

She said: I LOVE THIS. Lover everything about this look. So. much. love.

He said: I think the off the shoulder stuff will always be in. It’s sexy! Like a tease.

She said: You’re not even showing anything that scandalous, it’s crazy what one bare shoulder can do to your look!

He said: It’s like the model in the middle is saying, “Look, I can almost show you what I’ve got but nope, not gonna show you!”

Verdict: Our love for this trend is real. If 2015 is full of gorgeous exposed shoulders, bring it on! I can’t wait till the weather gets warm enough for me to get in on this look!

Overall, the beauty world seems to be concerned with keeping looks ‘natural.’ From what I can gather from our perspectives on the new 2015 trends, either we’re really against change or the predicted trends aren’t really our style. Fashion wise, we’re pretty optimistic! If you’d like to check out what other fashion and beauty trends are being predicted for this year, make sure to check out Glamour here: 

http://www.glamour.com/fashion/2014/09/spring-2015-fashion-trends-from-f…

If you want to see the rest of the Cosmopolitan article on beauty trends, here’s a link to their article: 

http://www.cosmopolitan.com/style-beauty/beauty/advice/a34810/beauty-tre…

With spring comes endless potential for fashion and beauty trends to revamp our bulky winter style! Let’s hope we start feeling a little springtime weather soon – I’m not sure how much more snow I can take.

Ciao for now!

Vanessa

http://giphy.com/search/cold-weather

http://rebloggy.com/post/1k-gifs-tangled-disney-rapunzel-disneyedit-tang…

http://globalgrind.com/2013/10/25/ciara-28-birthday-dancing-gifs/

http://www.collegefashion.net/fashion-tips/class-to-night-out-culotte-sh…

I'm a Shakespeare loving, eyebrow obsessing beauty junkie, who adores all things having to do with Harry Potter, delicious food, and good music. After 4 years I've finally graduated from the oh so wonderful, University of Toronto and am currently working toward a Masters of Information degree.  I'd like to think of myself as a modern day romantic with an unquenchable wanderlust. My current dream is to one day go on an international library hopping adventure! For an aspiring special collections librarian, that is definitely at the top of my list post-graduation. I am a frequent visitor of the ROM and love going see the Nutcracker during the holidays. As a Decemeber baby myself, I absolutely love the winter time, the snow, the holiday cheer, and the half coffee half hot chocolates I get from Timmys. As for music, my likes are pretty much across the board! From John Mayer to Sam Smith, Debussy to Duke Ellington, Xtina to today's pop hits, you'll find me somewhere in the middle.On a regular day, you'll probably find me at home with my dog Kacy on a Mad Men binge, or catching up with Once Upon a Time, The Good Wife, How To Get Away With Murder and Suits- ps. I love netflix!