Keeping it Fresh: Your Spring/Summer 2015 Fragrance Cheat Sheet

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Toronto chapter.

As collegiettes everywhere begin to thaw out of this cold cold Canadian winter, signs of spring and summer begin to bloom everywhere around the city. The new season comes with fresh styling and chic clothes, but also the chance to refresh our fragrance collections! Before we delve into some amazing scents for the season, let’s take a look at the anatomy of perfume, as well as some tips and tricks to help every collegiette smelling fresh and feeling good.

Every perfume is different, but did you know that all scent contain three different layer of notes? The foundation for scents are based on what is known to perfumers as a scent pyramid.  

The Top Notes

These notes are the first impression of the perfume and strongest when first sprayed. Notes used here are usually citrus and or green as a way to subtlety introduce the scent. The longevity of the top notes is relatively short and as the initial impression dries down, the scent evolves into the middle or “heart notes.”

The Middle Notes

These are the notes that linger on your skin soon after the initial impression. Scents in this stage of the perfume are usually floral in nature and when the perfume really “blooms.” Throughout the day as the perfume continues to dry, it will evolve into the last stage of its life – the base notes.  

The Base Notes

This is the scent that lingers on your skin at the end of a long day. Base notes are at the bottom of the pyramid and usually comprised of heavier/woodsy scents. They are the faint remnants of the perfume that close the life of the perfume gracefully and subtly.

Each scent is unique and the same perfume can smell different on two people with different body chemistries. Collegiettes can choose perfumes by both the scent identity and family. Every person has a unique scent identity that is based on skin type, diet, physical condition, as well as age. Not only does your body chemistry affect the scent of the perfume, the weather and the seasons do, as well! During the summertime, collegiettes should wear lighter, more floral scents. To combat a dry, cold winter, a warm and musky scent will keep any collegiette (and her friends!) feeling comfortable and warm.

Now that you know the basic anatomy of perfume, the age-old question remains – how much is too much? We all know there is a fine line to smelling sexy and giving the impression you just bathed in a tub of Chanel Number 5. Well, the solution is as simple as following the diagram below. Spritz once or twice on two or three pulse points for longevity throughout the day. Studies have shown that your nose acclimatizes to perfume, especially if you wear the same one every day, which is why some people OD on fragrance. Follow the diagram and spritz in moderation to avoid this rookie mistake!  

Here are some top notch scents that I recommend every collegiette try out for a fun, sexy summer scent.

1.      Daisy – Marc by  Marc Jacobs

A summer must-have in every collegiette’s fragrance collection. Daisy delivers the perfect balance between fresh, fruity and floral. The overall impression of this perfume is cheerful, carefree and transports the wearer into a field of daises, full of sun, fresh air, and that perfect summer dress. For collegiette who already own this fragrance and is looking for a familiar scent with a twist, try the other versions of Daisy such as Eau So Fresh, and Daisy Dream!

2.      Dolce – Dolce & Gabanna

This is a new, sultry floral from the Italian fashion house, Dolce & Gabanna.  Dolce is a feminine floral scent that is light and airy, with just enough of a sexy, musk undertone. A perfect fragrance for the flirty collegiette to try, Dolce will definitely keep you feeling confident and refreshed on those hot summer nights.

3.      CLEAN Perfume Collection

If thy name is subtlety, then the CLEAN perfume collection is perfect for you. CLEAN perfumes are go-to scents for collegiettes that are looking for a perfume that could be pass for their natural scent, or a workplace-friendly fragrance. With a great price points that won’t break the bank, the CLEAN collection provides a plethora of scents for collegiettes to collect. My personal favorite is Fresh Laundry and Rain.

4.      Body by Victoria – Victoria’s Secret

Definitely an under-rated scent in the world of fragrance, Body is clean, fresh, and airy with an impressive longevity considering it’s a body spray. The main ingredients are water hyacinth, freesia and crushed leaves, and this perfume is my personal go-to scent for feeling refreshed on those sticky summer days.

5.      Amazon Lily – Nest Fragrances  

For those collegiettes seeking a complex and unique scent to make their signature perfume, Amazon Lily from Nest Fragrances is uniquely luxurious. With major floral and fruity notes such as three different type of citrus backed up by lily, Amazon Lily is for the fun and spontaneous collegiette who is ready to take on any summer challenage.

Image sources :

http://weheartit.com/entry/109695159

http://beautytips4her.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/how-to-make-perfume…

http://www.polyvore.com/spring_summer_2015_fragrance_cheat/set?id=151962157

Karen Li

U Toronto

Book & Media,Visual Studies + Writing and Rhetoric. 1T6 20 something-female at the University of Toronto with a penchant for spotting the best Thai restaurant around. When she is not optimizing the perfect take-out order, she can be found writing about culture, media, and lifestyle at her blog, http://www.plasticconfetti.wordpress.com