This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Toronto chapter.

Introducing, Kaelie Toone, a First-year student who was willing to chat with me about her UofT experience, all the while offering advice on how to make the most of student life on campus and how to survive midterms. Proving that sometimes it doesn’t have to be all-or-nothing when it comes to focusing on school versus extracurriculars, but that a balance between the two can be made and found in a school this big within a city as diverse as Toronto. 

Why did you pick the University of Toronto?

Coming out of high school I really wasn’t sure what I wanted to study in university. I chose UofT because it offered a wide range of courses and majors and was also right in downtown Toronto, the city I grew up in and love.

What is your favourite study spot on campus?

Some people need silence to study but I need some chatter in order to get work done. Reznikoffs Café is perfect for people who prefer a coffee shop environment over the library, and, there are study snacks readily available!

Has going to university in your home town changed the way you look/experience the city overall?

Absolutely, going to university in Toronto has completely changed how I see the city. UofT is in the heart of downtown, which means I have the chance to experience some of Toronto’s most interesting neighborhoods, including Kensington Market. And, attending university is its own sort of independence which makes the city feel like my own backyard to explore, rather than just the place I happen to live.

What is one thing that surprised you about U of T?

I think UofT often gets the reputation of being the “antisocial” school, so I went in with high expectations for academics and pretty low expectations for the “community feel” that other schools boast about. I was surprised to find this not to be the case, although UofT is large there are many small communities to be a part and interesting people learn from.

What has been the highlight of your year so far?

This is a difficult question, I’m not sure there has been one highlight of the year, it’s been more accumulative. With each assignment I finish and the more interesting people I meet I find myself becoming more and more comfortable and confident in this new environment, so in a sense almost every new week becomes the highlight of my year so far!

What extra-curricular plans do you hope to accomplish at U of T before you graduate?

This is perhaps more co-curricular but I think going abroad for a course or a semester would be a really interesting experience!

What is your go-to study break activity?

My go-to study break activity is scouring the internet for new music!

In 5 words, give your best advice to surviving midterms.

Sleep = more important than cramming!

From First-year to First-year, spill the beans on how you’ve managed to make friends during your first semester.

I have to say living in residence is very helpful for making friends, especially at a big school like UofT. I know it’s a cliché but I’ve found the key to making friends is being involved and open!

How do you get involved around campus?

Currently I’m an executive member of the UofT Guitar Club, a residence tour guide, and I have an on-campus job. UofT has an absurd number of clubs and opportunities to get involved so next year I’d like to do more!

Describe one thing you’ve done differently from last semester that made it better.

Taking notes by hand! I’m more awake in lectures, class is more interesting, and studying for tests is so much easier now that I’ve already absorbed most of the information.

Alexandra Lambropoulos is an undergraduate student at the University of Toronto. She is a self-dubbed dancing queen, with a love for lifestyle blogging, pastry baking, movie watching and stationary collecting. She has a passion for the environment and tea, with an interest in what makes people tick and a love for snapping photos. Feel free to follow her on Twitter @itsMsTLilly, to say hello or to occasionally fangirl over the newest film releases.
Architecture History and Design Double Major and Environmental Geography Minor at the University of Toronto