How to Pull Off A Darker Lip for Autumn

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Toronto chapter.

Autumn is that time of year when you let go of your summer laziness, and your vampy self comes out. I’m here to make sure your vampy makeup doesn’t resemble Halloween makeup, and is sexy enough for strutting down Yorkville Ave.!

Autumn is a time when darker, earthy, plum colours are seen everywhere. These colours can be used around the eyes, cheeks or lips in varying concentrations of colour.

Quick Tricks and Treats
If you’re a busy girl with barely enough time to get through your readings, don’t fear! These little tricks should take you less than a minute.

Lip Stains

Simply outline and colour in your lips with this marker like product. The stain ensures that the lip colour lasts with little to no maintenance so you won’t have to keep touching up. A great one is Foxtrot by Josie Maran, but if you don’t have a lip stain handy, take a dark, berry shade like Captive by MAC, dot your lips a bit, and rub it in with your finger.

Remember, balance is key. With a dark, captivating lip, you want to go easy and earthy with the eyes. A good coat of mascara should do it!

Drama for a Night Out
If you’re looking to show off a dramatic pout in the evening, you must LAYER. Layer, layer, layer. Not only with your clothes (keep it classy, ladies), but also with your lip color. If you thinly layer numerous products of the same shade, your pout will be maintenance free! 
To make absolutely sure that your pout won’t wear off, start with exfoliated lips. See my Kissable Lips article to see how. http://www.hercampus.com/school/utoronto/kissable-lips-valentine%E2%80%9…

Apply the lipstain. Be precise! Symmetry is proven to be aesthetically pleasing, so take your time.
Next, apply a lip liner (like Burgundy by MAC) around your lips and colour it in, the same way you applied your lipstain; this will allow your lip to last longer. 
Next, apply your lipstick. If you want to be super precise, I recommend using a lip brush. 
Most importantly, blot your lips! Take a tissue, or a piece of paper, or even a coffee filter if you have it, and bite down on it with your lips. 
Reapply, the lipstick. Blot again. And? Reapply! 

A matte lip is very trendy for fall, and also very convenient if you don’t want your hair to stick to your face when that gust of wind comes around. Just in case, throw that lipstick in your bag and get your vampy self out that door. 

Warning: 
These lips should catch eyes. I was walking down Cumberland St, when a construction worker almost killed his colleague in a lift. He was not paying attention to the controls. No worries, I looked away quickly and no one got hurt. Phew! You be careful with those!