This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Toronto chapter.

Although I didn’t meet Bethany during my first year, she made my second year an unforgettable one! From High School Musical Sing Alongs, to rocking out at karaoke, to wandering around Toronto to find an open frozen yogurt place (we were desperate), she has been a great friend to have during my university experience! Going into her third year, she now has lots of knowledge when it comes to U of T and handling your first year like a pro. Take a look at these tips so you can start your year with confidence!

Name: Bethany Chu

Year: Third

College: University College

Program: Life Science

Can you talk a bit about what orientation week was like during your first year? What was your favorite event or activity?

Orientation week was a great experience for me because it allowed me to meet new friends and develop a sense of belonging at U of T. Out of all the activities, my favorite one was definitely the “Bring It On” activity. “Bring it on” is an event which students get the opportunity to perform a unique cheerleading dance on stage and compete against other houses. This event was unforgettable for me, especially since I have always been a fan of the classic movie “Bring it on. ”I had a great experience creating a cheer dance that was dedicated to our own house.

Why do you think that Frosh week might be helpful for incoming first years?

Frosh week is helpful for incoming first years because, as I have mentioned above, freshmen can meet new friends easily by participating in different kinds of activities during the week. Since most events take place on or around campus,  freshmen are able to get the opportunity to get to know U of T better.

Did you live on campus during your first year or were you a commuter? How do you think this influenced your overall experience in terms of student life?

I have always commuted throughout my time at U of T. Even though I enjoy living with my family, I think living on campus would be a better experience in terms of student life. Students who live on campus are able to spend more time with classmates after lectures without having to worry about getting home late. I’ve also noticed that students who live on campus tend to join more school clubs and participate in school events. But even if you do commute, that does not mean you won’t find your people! You just might need to make the extra effort to join a club or make the time to connect with new people with your limited time on campus throughout the day.

Many incoming first years are often anxious about the transition to university life from high school. How was this transition for you? What would you say to the first years who may be feeling nervous about starting university?

The transition from high school to university was quite a big leap for me. Not only do the lectures get bigger, but the content can also become much more difficult. That being said, my advice to first years would be to always go to class and to manage your time wisely. At the same time, do not forget to have fun; university is not just about school, enjoy yourself and do not stress about school too much!

U of T is known for a lot of things, one of them being how big it is, and the tendency for students to “feel like a number.” Did you find this was true for you? How did you deal with the size of the campus?

I did find that I felt a bit overwhelmed by the size of U of T during my first year. Coming from high school, U of T felt huge! During my first year, I found it challenging to get from one lecture hall to another. However, once you memorize the locations for each lecture, you can get there in 10-15 minutes. I would suggest that new students spend a day or two to walk around campus, so that you can become acquainted with getting to class. This will help with avoiding being late to class on your first few days (but don’t stress if you are, we’ve been there!)

Although a chunk of our time is devoted to trekking to class and enduring three hour lectures, we have to make time to catch up on readings (or sleep!) during the day. What are your top three places to study or relax on campus?

Gerstein Library (Reading Room)

Gerstein is my favorite place to get lots of work done. It is so quiet in there, which kind of motivates you to get stuff done! It is also very bright inside, which makes it an enjoyable place to spend the day (even if it is studying.)

Sidney Smith Study Room

Sid Smith’s study rooms, found on opposite sides of the main lobby, have a different vibe than a typical university library. There is definitely a quieter room, and a louder room, so if you want to get more done, head to the back room. It seems more relaxed, and is a good spot to spend between classes, or catching up on a last minute assignment.

Robarts Library

You will inevitably head into Robarts at some point in your university career. Although it looks like a prison from the outside (and sometimes feels like one from the inside,) this is where you will be if you are pulling an all-nighter before an exam. With the Starbucks and the food court there, you can literally spend the entire day and night inside. There are also private study rooms you can book to have a space to talk and go over important concepts with  your classmates (although not too loud, because people will stare at you.)

U of T has a variety of clubs, committees and student associations to get further involved in student life! Did you join any clubs or associations during your first year? If so, can you talk a bit about it?

I did not join any clubs during first year, but in my second year, I was an executive of U of T Hong Kong Student Association (UTHKSA). I am glad I found an opportunity to get involved with other students on campus, for something extracurricular to take my mind off of school!

Adjusting to university life might take a little bit of time for some people. Once you figure out what “U of T time” is and how many lectures you can skip to still pass the class, then you can start getting into a routine and seeing all that Toronto has to offer! Do you have any favorite memories or experiences from your first year that you can share?

During my first year, my timetable was relatively tight. Although I don’t suggest you skip class, there was one time that I decided to skip lecture and explore downtown with my new friends. I would try not to make this a habit, but I definitely did not regret skipping that day. I got to really experience Toronto for the first time and had to chance to bond with my friends.

Do you have any embarrassing moments or “first year fails” that you remember from your first year at U of T?

Even though I sound like a U of T expert, I still have my embarrassing moments, just like anyone! My most embarrassing moment is definitely the time I walked into the wrong lecture hall and sat in for the entire hour without realizing that it was not my class. Moral of the story: double check your class locations!

If you could give one piece of advice to incoming first years, what would you say?

Just take it easy and do not slack off! It’s challenging but definitely doable.

Alright, first years! You now hold the knowledge to taking on your first year of university and getting involved in campus life! Go to class, get involved, and have fun! 

Photo Credits:

https://www.haikudeck.com/education

Tali Main

U Toronto

Tali is a second year psychology student at University of Toronto. She enjoys singing, reading cheesy teen romance novels, and cooking/eating delicious food!