Fear of the Freshman 15

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Toronto chapter.

It’s that time of the year again. And with a new school year comes fear of the dreaded Freshman 15. Most people have had to sit in horror while a friend or family member gleefully describe the weight gain and loss of physical fitness that comes with entering University Life. And unfortunately, it applies to more than just freshmen. Everyone goes through it: the stress of a new campus, new classes, a mountain of unending readings, meeting people. Most people don’t get enough sleep. No one is in the mood to make home-cooked food, everyone eats out, and no one keeps track of what they’re eating. 

Then one day you wake up and find that your favourite jeans are just a bit too snug, and the t-shirt you wore a few weeks ago feels oddly tight and looks unflattering. 

At this point, most people promise themselves that they will visit the gym, or go on a diet. What usually happens, however, is a couple half-hearted trips to the gym or an unsuccessful attempt at trying a fad diet. Here’s a hint: if it tells you to cut out a whole food group (and you’re not allergic to it already) its probably a bad idea. 

Here are some some tips for beating the Freshman 15, and I promise your wallet and your stomach will thank you.

1. If you live on residence or have a meal plan, check out the salad bar, add fruit to your meal, have some granola or a piece of fruit with yogurt at least twice a week. 

2. Put a limit on how many times you eat out every week. If you get coerced into it anyway, try a Caesar salad, or at least a less cholesterol-inducing choice then, say, poutine.  

3. U of T is a huge and beautiful campus. Explore it. Take the long way to class, skip the elevator, or do an extra lap around Queen’s Park or Hart House Circle. (Trust me, you’ll come across some interesting things, like the beautiful courtyard at Knox).

Above all, remember that it’s not the end of the world, and that everyone goes through it. Eventually you will find your balance, and you will learn how to avoid the temptation of the food trucks. (At least sometimes.)

Photo Sources

http://31.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m622i8ddwL1qjbocho2_1280.gif

Student at the University of Toronto Mississauga.