This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Toronto chapter.

October is here, midterms are coming soon, and we are all starting to feel the stress of “oh my God, that project is due in two weeks?! I thought I had all this time!” School has a way of creeping up on us and sometimes we don’t have enough time to take care of ourselves. When our bodies feel overwhelmed, it tends to shut down and when we’re not eating properly – which I know I never do when I’m stressed out, we get sick. And who wants that?!

A really quick, easy and great way to make sure you’re getting all your nutrients and protein is with smoothies and shakes! As students, doing this cheaply may seem difficult, but with a little research, I guarantee you there are some corners you can cut. Some tricks are purchasing frozen fruits instead of fresh produce and getting your flax seeds or oats from Bulk Barn, where there are student discounts every Wednesday!

I’m going to share recipes for my two favourite smoothies that I make every morning to ensure that I’m getting all the good stuff in.

My first recipe is a green smoothie that is rich in antioxidants, fresh and delicious to boot. All you need are:

1 cup frozen blueberries

½ cup frozen raspberries

1 cup Kale

½ Spinach

2 big scoops of Greek Yogurt (flavoured/non flavoured)

1 tablespoon of chia seeds

1 teaspoon of honey

*for liquid, I like regular almond milk or fresh juice, but adjust to personal preference

Blend it all up and top with more chia seeds if you wish!

The second recipe has a stronger chocolate taste and creamy texture. I love this when I’m craving ice cream or just want something to make me feel cozy.

All you need are:

2 frozen bananas  

1 teaspoon honey

1 teaspoon of chia seeds

1 cup chocolate almond milk/or regular depending on your craving

2 teaspoons of cacao nibs

Blend it all up and top with cocoa powder!

As you can see both of these smoothies, have the same basics which is really great for just getting started and being creative with your shakes!

Blend up, and fuel yourself.  

Photo Sources:
Lisa Chen

U Toronto

Lisa Chen is currently a second year student majoring in the History and Philosophy of Science and Technology (it's a thing - I swear!) with a minor in English and a joint minor with Singapore National University in Asian Culture and Literature. When she is not editing articles for HerCampus and marveling at the amazing content her writers produce, Lisa is an executive on the Arts and Science Student's Union (ASSU) where she represents and advocates for the interests of over 24,000 students enrolled in the Faculty of Arts and Science. Lisa hopes to study law after graduation, preferably somewhere warm like California because Canadian winters are ridiculous and she loves high-waisted shorts. If you see her around campus, don't be afraid to come say hi! Especially if you love Adventure Time and Harry Potter as much as she does.