Arts in the City: #CouplandTO Part 2

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Toronto chapter.

Hello collegiettes! Remember when I went to the Coupland exhibit, everywhere is anywhere is anything is everything? On the coldest Toronto weekend of the year, I trekked to see part two of this carefully curated exhibition on Canadian Cultural Lit magnate, Douglas Coupland. The exhibition is currently ongoing at the M.O.C.C.A. (Museum of Contemporary Canadian Art) tucked away in the hippest of all neighborhoods, Queen Street West. Overall the latter half of this exhibition was able to answer my questions posed in the last article, “Where is the Canadian-ness?” and provided a satisfactory conclusion to Coupland’s 21st brain.

There seems to be two different major themes at play in the everywhere is anywhere is anything is everything exhibit, which prompted to curator to split this exhibit into two different venues. The overall theme of this exhibit relates to the 21st century brain and the ever present-ness of the now. Going back to what I experienced at the R.O.M. in comparison to what is currently at display at M.O.C.C.A., the former venue was concerned with the effect of technology and how that has warped our brains differently while the latter took a more cultural route by presenting how our Canadian identity related to the 21st century condition.

Accompanied by inspired and modernized versions of iconic Canadian artwork, famous works by the Group of Seven and Emily Carr hanging nearby, Coupland grapples the love-hate relationship many Canadians have with the majestic and sometime agonizing sprawl of nature across the country.  The giant fallen electric transmission tower piece entitled The Ice Storm (2014) in the midst of all of these landscape tribute paintings becomes a symbol of the Secret Handshake for Canadians – one of many different symbols that Coupland define as something only Canadians can truly understand.  Interestingly enough, although Coupland’s piece fallen tower was referencing the ice storm of 1998, many of us collegiettes can probably remember battling it out in Toronto last December with our own ice storm. Not only does The Ice Storm embody the meanings of the nation’s shaky relationship with its natural surroundings, its organic shape and form also reminds the viewers of the sublime of nature.

An interesting juxtaposition between the 20th and the 21st century condition occurred at the exhibition was the placement between the Lego projects of the Douglas Coupland. Coupland illustrates the change that has occurred from the way we think to the way we live, and the move from the suburban house to condos. This urban condo phenomena is not a new concept to collegiettes, most of us who have plenty of experience sharing a shoebox apartment (just go take a walk downtown!). However, it’s very interesting to see the shift from the perfectly lined up Lego neighbourhood piece entitled  345 Modern Houses (2014) right next to Tower (2014) described as a representation of an urban jungle. The development of the 345 Modern Houses (2014) came from a childhood Lego set, an artifact of the post-war North American era the artists grow up in. The Legos used in the Tower (2014) were all crowd-sourced from a series of creative events lead by the artist, and difference in material origins makes an ode to the progressive ways that social and cultural norms have changed and will change in the future.

The rest of the exhibition was full of pieces that hinted at the prominence of the Canadian identity and how it is familiar within the North American context, but still foreign to our American neighbours down south. Surprising even to me, there exists within the different culture across Canada symbols that only other Canadians can truly understanding its meaning, even from one coast to the other. There is definitely a distinction between the fishing and costal culture of Nova Scotia, P.E.I., and Newfoundland, and that of East Coast Maine.

Wrapping up in this 2-parter of an exhibition, I would definitely recommend collegiettes to go see Douglas Coupland’s exhibition. Staying true to his literary works, Coupland is fun, understandable and witty. Besides many of his exhibition pieces provides the perfect backdrop for your next #selfie. It’s not a coincidence that photography is encouraged in the exhibition! 

http://www.mocca.ca/exhibition/coupland/

Karen Li

U Toronto

Book & Media,Visual Studies + Writing and Rhetoric. 1T6 20 something-female at the University of Toronto with a penchant for spotting the best Thai restaurant around. When she is not optimizing the perfect take-out order, she can be found writing about culture, media, and lifestyle at her blog, http://www.plasticconfetti.wordpress.com