This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Toronto chapter.

Edited by: Sophia Savva

It is understandable that ‘Canadian’ spring may not necessarily mean blooming tulips and freshly cut grass. Being raised in Toronto, I have witnessed several strange spring weather fluxes, including a 5cm snowstorm in the middle of March. From my experiences, I’ve learned two very important things: 1.) Do not be too hopeful for warmer weather 2.) Spring fashion does not mean floral miniskirts and light jackets…at least in Canada. I’ve curated a short list of seven essential spring basics. What I love about each one of these items is that anyone can easily stay stylish without any effort while saving a good buck. Whether you prefer a low-maintenance and comfortable look or something chic, this list is for you!

High waist vintage jeans

The ‘90s are back! High-waist vintage skinnies are back in style. These jeans are versatile and can be styled for any type of outfit. Pair with nude high heels and a plain white blouse for an effortless business casual outfit. Feeling comfy? Pair a band tee with trainers to channel classic ‘90s grunge.

Open Lapel Coat  

Lapel coats have been turning heads in Winter 2018. An open lapel coat is perfect for those slightly cold spring days. Pair a beige lapel coat with an all-black ensemble: a pair of ripped black jeans, a black long sleeve and a black tote bag. Colour co-ordination and minimalism have been major trends in 2018. The beige lapel coat is sure to be a stand-out piece against a single colour ensemble. Still a bit chilly? Add an oversized blanket scarf.

Frilled Turtlenecks

Add a cute touch to the basic turtleneck with frilled detail. Pair a black frilled turtleneck with vintage high waisted jeans for an effortless everyday outfit or pair a white frilled turtleneck with neutral dress pants for a business casual outfit.

Paper Bag pants

Paper bag pants have been a major trend for Spring 2018. They can easily be transformed from a preppy, everyday outfit to something casual. Pair a white blouse with a pair of beige paper bag pants and cream ankle wrap shoes to elevate your everyday look. Rolled out of bed? You can also wear a graphic tee with grey or black paper bag pants and sneakers.

Patterned Culottes  

Make a bold statement with patterned culottes! Plaid and striped prints especially can make a difference in your everyday style. Pair striped navy culottes with a plain white blouse, or pair plaid culottes with a black sweatshirt and boots for colder days.

Thigh High Boots

Thigh high boots have been a staple of mine whether I’m wearing a miniskirt or a pair of black leggings. Celebrities such as Kim Kardashian and Kylie Jenner have been sporting thigh high boots with skirts, oversized tees and leggings. For the cold Canadian weather, pair your thigh high boots with an oversized sweater dress and black stockings.

Berets

Add a beret to any outfit for a preppy touch. Black berets are perfect as a final piece for an everyday outfit. Want to go bold? Bright colours like red go well with neutral coloured outfits.

IMAGE 1/ IMAGE 2/ IMAGE 3/ IMAGE 4/ IMAGE 5/ IMAGE 6/ IMAGE 7

Ann Marie Elpa

U Toronto '21

Ann Marie Elpa is a third-year student at Victoria College at the University of Toronto St. George. She majors in both English and Book and Media Studies, hoping to pursue a career in journalism. Apart from being involved with the HerCampus team, Ann Marie currently serves as the President of Alpha Omicron Pi's Beta Tau Chapter and has bylines in NBGA Mag, The Varsity, The Strand and HuffPost. She is also a brand ambassador for companies such as Sephora, Bumble, Michael Kors and Hallmark. Ann loves a good Starbucks coffee and a rom-com.