This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Toronto chapter.

Summer is only a few weeks away—which means most of us will be basking in the glory of sunny days, chlorine, warm weather, and laziness. Though these things may feel wonderful at the time, they can wreak havoc on our skin. With the countless hours summer graces us with, there is plenty of time to keep your skin in stellar shape.

1. Exfoliate!

The key to healthy and smooth skin is exfoliation. Many exfoliators are sold for unbelievably expensive prices, but you can achieve the same results by concocting your very own DIY scrub. Mix together raw sugar, grape seed/olive oil, and crushed coffee beans. For added luxuriousness, add a few drops of your favourite essential such as lavender or vanilla. The end result should be a bit grainy in texture and can be stored in a glass jar. Your body will feel silky smooth for just a fraction of the price!

2. Lips!

Our lips are prone to getting sunburnt and chapped just like the rest of our body. Give your lips some love by protecting them with a lip balm that contains SPF. Treat yourself to a lip scrub by combining raw sugar, olive oil, and honey to form a grainy paste. Gently rub this mixture on your lips for 30-60 seconds to remove dead skin and plump them up simultaneously. This scrub also brings out your lips’ natural colour—an added bonus!

3. Don’t Ignore Your Toes!

With summer, come sandals, flip-flops, and other footwear that make it almost mandatory to keep our feet looking presentable. There is no use in looking flawless all over and ignoring your feet, so be sure to keep them in good shape. An inexpensive foot brush with a pumice attached to it should be one of your holy grail items for the summer months. This handy tool will assist you in sloughing off any dry and flaky skin on your feet. Soak your feet in warm water with a few tablespoons of baking soda to really clean them (using baking soda should only be done once every few weeks as it can be drying). Soaking your feet will make it simple to scrub callouses with the pumice. Using the brush, scrub in between toes and around toenails. Afterwards, dry them off and proceed with a summer pedicure.

4. The Sun is NOT Your Friend!

Sun damage, in the simplest of terms, is the worst. It may be all fun and games in your young years, but when you turn forty, years of neglecting sun protection rears its ugly head. Find a sunscreen (at least SPF 30) and stick with a brand that works for your skin. Make sure to apply it before heading out the door, and reapply it if you plan on staying out in the sun for most of the day. In addition, find makeup (if you wear any) that has SPF in it. Your skin will thank you for it when you are older.

5. Moisturizer IS Your Friend!

Moisturizers are one of those things that can be found anywhere for cheap, and is absolutely necessary for your skin and hair. To step it up a notch, get your hands on pure cocoa butter. It will ultimately be the most nourishing product you use on your skin, and will combat the driest of days. Argon oil is another great alternative for pretty much everything—it can be used on hair, on skin, all the way to your nails and cuticles. Whatever you use, use it often.

It doesn’t take expensive beauty products to shape yourself into summery, bronzed, and smooth perfection. Save your money for a plane ticket or for anything else your heart desires.

Image Sources:

http://pad1.whstatic.com/images/thumb/2/29/Exfoliate-Your-Body-for-Soft-…

http://www.notpasty.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/297-680×450.jpg

http://revcherylbirch.files.wordpress.com/2014/08/the-sun-in-the-sky.jpg…