Holiday Treats to Make in Your Microwave

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFCA chapter.

It’s that time of the year again ladies (and gents). Department stores have begun to change their decorations, Union square has started it’s transformation into a winter wonderland, and Starbucks has brought out the red cups. Yup, Christmas is officially here. Unfortunately, being in college some of us live in the dorms, and don’t always have access to a kitchen so it’s not so easy for us to make all of those delicious treats for our friends and family, and most importantly ourselves. Don’t fret! I’m here to help you out with that one. I mean who doesn’t like a person who comes home from college with homemade gifts, especially treats. Here are a couple mouthwatering recipes to get not only your taste buds watering but probably the taste buds of the ones receiving your homemade yumminess.

Peppermint Bark:

What you need:

• 1 (12 ounce) package white chocolate morsels
  • A box of candy canes, or peppermint candies
  • A baking sheet
  • Microwave-safe bowl
  • Waxed paper
  • A heavy-duty plastic bag
  • Rolling pin, or heavy object

Directions:

1. Line the baking sheet with waxed paper
  2. Microwave morsels in a medium, microwave-safe bowl on medium-high (70%) power for 1 minute; stir. Microwave at additional 10- to 20-second intervals, stirring until smooth. (You don’t want to burn the chocolate so keep the small intervals)
  3. Place the candy canes (or peppermint candies) in the heavy-duty plastic bag. Crush candies using a rolling pin (or heavy object). Take out all of the larger pieces and set them aside. Then mix the smaller candy pieces in with the melted morsels.
  4. Spread the peppermint mixture to desired thickness onto the prepared baking sheet. Sprinkled with the larger candy pieces you set aside earlier; press lightly.
  5. Let stand for about 1 hour or until firm. Break into pieces and enjoy! Store the remaining pieces in an airtight container at room temperature.

Fudge:

What you need:
– 1 12-ounce package semi-sweet chocolate chips
– 1 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk

• 1-1/4 cup chopped, toasted nuts (or anything you want to throw in to your fudge)
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 8 inch square pan
  • Microwave-safe bowl
  • Waxed paper (or foil)
  • Nonstick cooking spray

Directions:

1. Grease a foil-lined 8 inch square pan.
  2. In a microwave-safe bowl melt chocolate chips with condensed milk on 50% power for 3 to 5 minutes. Stirring once while cooking. Stir in nuts (or other items) and vanilla.
  3. Pour into pan and chill until set. Then serve!

Caramel Corn:

What you need:

• 1 large bag of popcorn, prepared
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 10 large marshmallows
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • Medium to Large microwave-safe bowl

Directions:

1. Place butter, marshmallows, and brown sugar into the microwave-safe bowl.
  2. Microwave for short periods (10- to 20-second intervals) to melt butter and marshmallows. Stir until all are incorporated into a smooth mixture.
  3. Bring to a full boil in the microwave for about one minute.
  4. Pour over prepared popped popcorn.
  5. Enjoy!

If you’re thinking about gifting these delicious treats you can find cute festive plastic bags to put them in at your local grocery or craft store. To finish them off, tie them closed with some red or green colored ribbon!

Recipes courtesy of: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/holiday-peppermint-bark/detail.aspx, http://baking.about.com/od/fudge/r/damneasy.htm, and http://baking.about.com/od/sweetpopcorns/r/quickcaramel.htm.

Coming across Her Campus as a senior in high school and then leading her very own branch, Emily proudly calls herself the co-president and editor-in-chief of Her Campus University of San Francisco. While Emily has a guilty addiction to shopping, celebrities, and all things "girly" she hopes that she can integrate this into a relatable magazine to the women of her campus. Emily has a slight infatuation for John Krasinski and Joseph Gordon-Levitt. When she's not day dreaming about her future husbands, Emily is participating in many extra curricular activities such as her sorority, Kappa Alpha Theta. Emily enjoys good company, good FOOD, and a good ole' television. One of the most recent television series Emily has become a fan of is ABC's Pan Am. If only Pan Am continued to exist, Emily would have seriously considered becoming a stewardess. The success of the branch has yet to blossom. Emily hopes that she can bring Her Campus University of San Francisco to its full potential. In the future, Emily plans studying abroad all over the European continent and pursue her passion of social justice through fashion.