Your One-Stop Holiday Shopping Guide: 15 Gifts at the Bookstore

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Penn chapter.

If you’re still on campus until December 22, chances are it’s because you have a very late final. That also means that you’re probably not going to have a lot of time to get all your holiday shopping done. Don’t stress! Little known secret: virtually all of your holiday shopping can be done at 36th & Walnut. And because the Penn Bookstore loves us, they’ll even wrap it all up for you too.

The idea of shopping at the bookstore might make you cringe, but don’t worry. The bookstore, of course, has an ample amount of Penn swag for the immediate family, but secret number two: there’s enough other fun stuff there for you to gift everyone in your life.

1. No one is a bigger fan of you than your parents are, so why not remind them of how awesome the kid they raised is? You go to Penn! And since they probably bought the requisite Penn Mom and Dad shirts right when that acceptance letter came, give them some other Penn Parent gear.  These mugs ($13.98) are huge and rock the red and blue—perfect for morning coffee or holding pens on a desk.  Either way, they’re yet another cute way for your rents to brag about you, and we all know they love doing that.

2. No one suffered from your struggle with the Common App more than your somewhat understanding siblings.  Remind them what all the angst was about by getting them something that shows that you still love them.

For the brother, go for the standard Penn baseball cap ($19.98-$21.98).  It seems like Penn churns out five new styles a week, so it’s not like he can ever have enough.  No matter how much he acts like he doesn’t care, he loves to support you just as much as your parents do.

[pagebreak]3. You and your sister share that sisterly bond, and she may be as adverse to gratuitous collegiate apparel as you’ve become.  For her, hit up the bookstore’s Vera Bradley collection. There is a plethora of colorful wallets ($12.00) in all of the trademark prints, and even a few cute carry-all totes ($48.00) if you’re feeling extra generous.

Your grandparents mostly just want you to be happy and well-fed, but they’re just as proud of you, if not more so, than your parents are. Why not give them something small to remind them of that grandchild of theirs who got sucked into Philadelphia?  They love stuff like that.

4. Your grandma’s got a charming sentimental side, and so this not-so-subtle Penn ornament ($14.98) is the ideal gift.  It doesn’t matter what holiday you observe, a decorative piece like this one plopped on a mantle looks wonderfully grandparental all year round.

5. As for your Grandpa, there’s nothing he looks forward to more about your school breaks than sitting down with a large glass of whatever and interrogating you about your career plans.  Fuel his overly concerned fire with a huge Penn beer mug ($10.98).  Whether he actually uses it or just sits it on the bar to look classy, he’ll appreciate the reminder of his favorite conversation topic.

[pagebreak]6. And you know your sweet but wacky aunt? The one who came up to you at Thanksgiving and asked if you were rioting with all those other kids up at Penn State? No?  Regardless, someone in your life needs this “Not Penn State” shirt ($18.98).  You know you’ve wanted to buy it since it hit the bookstore, but always held back.  Look at it this way: it’s not obnoxious if someone else is wearing it.  Just a harmless familial joke!

7. For your best friend (“best friend” meaning the canine in your life), the bookstore’s got you covered.  These cute little doggie bones ($6.98) are covered in pet-friendly Penn deliciousness, so really, there’s no excuse not to buy them.  Your pooch needs these. It’s fact.

8. Early Decision notices go out conveniently close to the holidays, so why not show that girl from your high school who just got into Penn just how stoked you are for her? Someone as Pennthusiastic as she is will probably go gaga for any kind of Penn accessory, but show her you’ve been rooting for her the whole time with this adorable Penn cheerleader teddy bear ($24.99).

[pagebreak]9. You all have that absent-minded friend who relies on your phone call five minutes before she needs to be anywhere.  Give her a friendly nudge in the right direction with a fun planner ($9.95-$19.95) or desk calendar ($12.99).  The bookstore makes them in the prettiest array of colors, pretty enough to make you want to use it. Plus, you know, nothing says new year like a calendar.

10. Boyfriends are legitimately impossible to shop for.  They have entire clothing and jewelry stores to rely on when they have to find a gift for you, but  all you’ve got is…nothing? If you’re just as lost as the rest, a sick pair of headphones is never a bad choice.  The bookstore’s Computer Connection carries a wide selection, but two pairs are particularly cool.  The swanky Beats by Dre headphones are great if you’re looking to splurge, but your most reasonable choice are Urbanears ($49.99).  They come in several colors and styles, so you can add a small personal touch for that special someone.

11. For the fashionista, the women’s clothing section actually has some stylish options. It’s winter, and every fashion conscious lady at Penn (and Penn has quite the fashionable campus) is looking for a fabulous way to keep warm. The girl who’s always impeccably dressed can keep away the chill with this rosette-adorned knit earwarmer/headband ($12.98).

[pagebreak]12. Whenever your computer crashes or AirPenn-Net is being faulty, whom do you call? Give a nod to his or her technological prowess with one of these adorable USB drives ($24.99) from Computer Connection.  Fun and coming in varying degrees of cuteness, these little guys are great for anyone who loves to gush over her hard drive.

13. For the Artist in your life, give her a reason to stop doodling all over her Psych notebook.  This kitschy sketchbook ($12.95) and a set of colored pencils ($8.95) will give her an outlet for her abundant creativity. Leave a cute note on the first page to turn it into a keepsake!

14. You know that friend that loves to randomly turn your lights off and bugs you about your twenty-minute showers? Show her some eco-love with this stylish reusable travel mug (price unmarked).  Not only does it have a cool, bohemian look, but she’ll also adore the eco-friendly thought behind it.  Plus, this brand is committed to protecting the environment.

15. Finally, if nothing else here applies, remember that Penn’s bookstore is happily married to Barnes & Noble.  Gift cards are never a bad choice, and if you give them to someone at Penn, they’ll love you forever for giving them some money to use towards the second-floor bookstore café.  Those muffins are that good.

Happy holiday shopping!

Grace Ortelere is a senior at the University of Pennsylvania, pursuing a psychology major. She writes about crime and is an assistant news editor for her school's student newspaper, the Daily Pennsylvanian. Grace went abroad to Paris for a semester, where she babysat for a French family and traveled to many other cities--her favorite was Barcelona! She's social chair of her sorority, Sigma Kappa, and likes to ski, hike and paraglide.