Why You Should Absolutely Register to Vote in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Penn chapter.

When moving to college, be it to a new city or a new state, there are obviously a million and one things to worry about – housing, dining, laundry, bedding, wall decorations (hello, decals, thanks to anal RA’s who don’t let you use Command Hooks), and an endless list of other things. 

Yet, there is one crucially important thing that we often forget in the midst of the chaos of all other things combined when we move into college: voter registration. Certainly, that seems like a very small, inconsequential item to remember, given everything else we have to worry about at our age. Not to mention the fact that presidential elections – this one even more than the average – can be pretty intimidating, unless you’re involved in every political group on campus or religiously watch CNN, it can be really tough to keep up with the madness of the presidential campaigns. Especially, also, when it seems like every form of media extensively poring over every minute detail of the current presidential election, it can be a huge turnoff to get involved– not to mention the effort necessary to register and mail in your registration before the primary gets to your respective state, if it hasn’t already, or even just in time for November’s general election.

All things considered, intimidation, lack of involvement, lack of knowledge, and time necessary to register, there are few more universally fought for rights in the sphere of civic advocacy globally than the right to political participation. Your vote, truly, is your voice as an American citizen – it is our most potent means of ensuring governmental transparency and holding elected officials accountable for their legislative decisions.

Though certainly the process can be an intimidating one and though, in the grand scheme of 300 million Americans, it may appear numericaly that your vote doesn’t have the impact some believe it does, that very mentality threatens the sanctity and representative nature of American democracy. In a race that has the potential to change the face of our country indefinitely, as each presidential race does, every vote counts – every voice counts. Don’t forsake the most important right the United States has afforded us – you earned it! Provide a voice for those whose governments deny them that opportunity.