Surabhi Srinivasan ’12

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Penn chapter.

Age: 24
Birthday: October 27th
Year: 2012
Hometown: Bangalore, India
Program: MS in CBE (Chemical Bioengineering)
Languages: English, Tamil, and Kannada

What brought you to Penn? The dream of becoming a scientist.

What do you love most about Penn and Philadelphia? I love the diversity at Penn. It has given me the chance to meet some of the most interesting people, including the writer of this interview! I love Philly for its culture and nightlife. It’s my home away from home.

Do you have a favorite spot on campus? College Green, where all the sunshine is.

How do you like to de-stress? By being completely lazy and not getting out of bed for an entire day.

What exciting plans do you have for the summer? I am all set to graduate and start exploring my career options. I am excited to find out where that will take me.

Perfect date: I wouldn’t really want a perfect date. I like the slight awkwardness and nervousness of a first date. It makes for a good laugh later.

What do you look for in a guy? Healthy self-esteem, charisma and just a little bit of drop dead gorgeous.

Favorite food: Masala Dosa. It’s a popular dish in southern India.

Addiction: Good music.

Favorite music: I appreciate all kinds of music but I mostly listen to alternative and metal. Right now, I am dipping my toes into some jazz and electroswing.

Celebrity crush: Ryan Gosling. No second thoughts.

What do you hope to accomplish in the next two years? I hope to have a nice job at the forefront of science, visit places I have never visited, and pursue hobbies that I never had the time for in grad school.

Grace Ortelere is a senior at the University of Pennsylvania, pursuing a psychology major. She writes about crime and is an assistant news editor for her school's student newspaper, the Daily Pennsylvanian. Grace went abroad to Paris for a semester, where she babysat for a French family and traveled to many other cities--her favorite was Barcelona! She's social chair of her sorority, Sigma Kappa, and likes to ski, hike and paraglide.