Snowstorm Jonas at Penn

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Penn chapter.

For a freshman class that comes largely from California, Florida, Texas, and really anywhere warmer than the bitterly cold Philly area, this past week’s onslaught of nearly 20 inches of heavy snowfall would appear to have been anything but pleasant.

However, this year’s freshman class not only didn’t let Jonas keep them inside but turned the Quad and every other feasible spot on campus into some of Philly’s best sledding spots.

The snow on every staircase from Riepe to Fisher got smoothed out into slick ramps that are still there now days since the initial snowfall – not to mention the debris of snowball fights and several snowmen (and one phallic snow figure).

The sheer number of excited snap stories of kids flying down the ramps on sleds makes up for those who were too cold-sensitive to venture outside, as well as several snarties (snow-day-parties) for those who would rather be inside.

Although the dysfunctional Quad gate system, the disgusting pile-up of trash that no one has taken from the Quad garbage area, and the incredible difficulty of navigating the now iced-over walkways that line Penn’s Campus are a pain now, the first day of snow made it all worth it.

So, despite the gloomy appearance of the dense snow forecast, Penn first-years took advantage of the snow day, hanging with the best of any PA locals on the snow day. (Of course, that means a snow day on the weekend – you didn’t actually think we’d get a day off from school, even with twenty inches?)