Penn’s New V-Day Queen, Rayne Harris

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Penn chapter.

Rayne Harris does not noticeably come across as a director, which I admire. Her levels of intimidation radiation are not sky rocketing, yet she embodies the alluring quality of someone with a purpose. I had the immense pleasure of meeting with Rayne to discuss her upcoming project, The Vagina Monologues. 

Originally from Mississippi, Rayne is currently a senior in the College majoring in Health and Societies, HSOC. She has never directed before, so the 14th Vagina Monologues performance at Penn sounds like the most logical debut.  She is definitely a go-getter.

The Vagina Monologues, written by Eve Ensler, consist of views from 200 real women on sex, relationships, and violence against women. In Penn’s 14h year of the Vagina Monologues, the cast and crew have done a phenomenal V-Day campaign in the weeks leading up to the performance.

While the show performs the same monologues each year, I wondered what Rayne would be bringing to the table. In addition to incorporating two new monologues, Rayne hinted there would be a surprise towards the end of the show. Based off her enthusiasm, it sounds too fun to be missed.

I have watched the show in past years and have noticed the group dynamic that goes into each monologue. With every cast member on stage at once, I asked Rayne how she viewed the community aspect of the performance.

“If you ask some of the girls in the cast, they’ll tell you that I have been making each group of each monologue meet together for coffee.”

She spoke of how she wanted cast members to build relationships with each other so that the chemistry could shine on stage.

“My main goal is to have this show start a conversation.”  

That conversation surrounds the multifaceted movement feminism represents in association with the amount of sexual violence made against women each year around the world. Rayne wants us to focus on how women can be different from one another, believe in different views and come from different backgrounds. Yet with this difference, community and collaboration is essential to making change.

Other than directing Vagina Monologues, Rayne is a sister of ZTA sorority, sings Alto in Penn Singers, and will play the lead in the African American Arts Alliance’s spring show, Aida (directed by past Campus Celebrity, Brittney Jones-Ali).  Support her in all her endeavors during her last semester, but most importantly support her involvement with the Vagina Monologues this weekend!

Rayne’s sophistication, calmness, intelligence, and genuinely kind demeanor made it seem as if I had known her for years and I cannot wait to see what she has to offer. 

Go see the Vagina Monologues this February 14th and February 15th at 8:00PM in Irvine Auditorium and support the end to rape culture. Tickets are $10 with 90% of the proceeds going towards Women Organized Against Rape, Philadelphia’s only full-service rape crisis center! Visit: http://www.vdayupenn.org