This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Penn chapter.

Name: Jannel Alston

Class: 2014

School: School of Arts and Sciences

Major: Communications; Minor in Consumer Psych

Hometown: Washington, DC

Languages spoken: I dabble in American Sign Language

Extracurriculars: Resident Advisor and Program Coordinator in Harrison College House; Executive Co-Chair for the Undergraduate Communications Society; PennHype Dance; Onyx Senior Honor Society; Ase Academy 6th Grade Mentor

Her Campus: What do you look for in a guy?

Jannel Alston: Intelligence paired with common sense. A deep understanding of himself, his community and his future aspirations. And he has to love dancing. He has to be a bit goofy too.

HC: Who is your celebrity crush?

JA: This week, it’s Tom Hiddleston.

HC: What is your idea of a perfect date?

JA: I really like exposure to new music, so take me to a small concert in Philly. Then buy me Chipotle so I know it’s real.

HC: What is the first thing you notice in a guy?

JA: I love a confident smile.

HC: What was your most memorable moment at Penn?

JA: I don’t think I’ve had it yet, but it will probably be graduation.

HC: What advice would you give to freshmen or anyone who is new to Penn?  

JA: Embrace the change. You’re going through so many changes arriving at Penn: academically, professionally, socially, and emotionally. Learning to adjust to that is part of the process that is college.

HC: Describe yourself in 3 words.

JA: Tall, quirky, foodie.

HC: What is your favorite thing to do in Philly?

JA: Thrift store shopping!!

HC: What is on your bucket list?

JA: Visiting a cranberry marsh, becoming proficient at knife throwing and archery, and going to Australia to pick up an accent.

HC: What are your favorite words to live by?

JA: Never forget who you are. Wear it like armour, and it can never be used to hurt you.