A guide to the best running routes around Penn

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Penn chapter.

By Katherine Yeagley

I love running. Well, I loved running when I was in decent shape while I ran cross country in high school. However, when you need to get off campus and clear your head, a quick run is the move. Here are my favorite routes to take when I need to take a break from school.

1. The Schuylkill River Trail and Boardwalk – The Schuylkill Trail is one of my favorite routes because you can make it as short or as long as you want. If you’re only interested in running a mile or two, the boardwalk and run to the art museum are perfect destinations. If you’re training for a longer race or feel the urge to really rack up the miles, the trail extends past Boat House Row and you have the option to loop back along MLK Boulevard which is closed to traffic during the weekends.
  2. Penn Park- There are few things I love more than running up Walnut Street and heading down the ramp into Penn Park while looking at the beautiful city skyline. Penn Park is perfect for sprints, running stairs, or just doing a quick loop before heading home.
  3. Center City – While running through the city can be difficult because you are forced to stop for traffic it’s a great change of scenery. Running through Rittenhouse Park or through Independence Hall makes for a great run.
  4. The Woodlands Cemetery- I know, I know this one sounds pretty creepy. But, trust me, if you haven’t checked out the Woodlands, you’re missing out. This is possibly my favorite place to run because you feel removed from the city. It’s the closest thing I’ve found to wooded trails and the different terrain is a welcome challenge after pounding the city pavements.
  5. Through Campus- If you’re feeling rushed and want to go for a quick mile or two miles, run through campus. Let everyone see how athletic you truly are by strutting your stuff down Locust Walk. A quick jog from your off campus residence to DRL is actually a more impressive feat than one might think.

Happy running!

Lydia Roberts is a junior at the University of Pennsylvania.  She is majoring in Communication and minoring in Gender, Sexuality, and Women's Studies, and also in French Studies.  She is an enthusiastic member of an a capella group at Penn and has a affinity for sour gummy candy.