This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Penn chapter.

To all of Penn’s endurance runners who believe that a day is not complete without a run – what I am about to say may be difficult to hear. Cross training is an essential part of running.

I know, I know. That is not what you want to hear. I get it. I used to be you. But I promise, you will not be sorry if you slowly begin to incorporate cross training into your scheduled runs.

Though there are certainly people who do not believe that cross training is necessary for endurance runners, I speak from personal experience when I say that cross training is key. When I was a freshman in high school I went for my first run. Throughout all four years of high school and well into my freshman year of college all I did was run. Every day I woke up, laced up my sneakers, and hit the pavement for miles and miles. And every day I ran at the exact same pace. Then, when I decided to train for my first Olympic triathlon, a race consisting of swimming, biking and running, everything changed. I went from running six days a week to running three days a week, while swimming, biking and doing strength training during the remaining four. For weeks, months even, I agonized over my lack of running, fearing that the less I ran the slower I would get. Boy was I wrong. With a couple months of triathlon training overhauling my run training, I cut minutes off of my 10k and half-marathon times. With a year of it, I was finally strong enough to run my first marathon. There is no doubt in my mind that I have triathlon training to thank for the strides I’ve made in running over the past three years. So, moral of my story? If you haven’t already, start cross training!

Now I know training is subjective. Everyone’s body is different, so why listen to me when I speak from experience? To quell some of the doubt you may be feeling right now, here are a few more specific and concrete reasons to start cross training. I’m sure I don’t even need to tell you this, but with constant running comes constant susceptibility to injuries. Therefore, one of the most important benefits of cross training is injury prevention. Without the strength and flexibility gained from other means of training, the repetitive impact of running can wear on your body and lead to injuries. As runner’s we all have the same fear of getting injured and being sidelined for months. Do your best to avoid such a devastating reality by mixing up your training and giving your body some well-deserved R&R.

Now that I’ve (hopefully) convinced you to consider cross training for the sake of staying healthy and able, here’s incentive number two. This one is bound to strike a chord with all of you competitive runners reading this (and let’s be real, whether you race or not, everyone has a little bit of a competitive side, so this should resonate with everyone). Cross training will make you faster! It’s true. Cross training can help improve your running. By focusing on workouts that strengthen and stabilize your body, you will become a stronger and more efficient runner, and therefore move faster. There’s nothing like finishing a run, looking down at your watch and seeing that you’ve PRed. The feeling is unlike anything else, so cross train to see that number decrease. It’s worth it.

Incentive number three: active recovery! Reality check — you’re body is not invincible. The key to successful workouts, successful training and successful races is getting to the start line with fresh legs. When you hit the track hard and finish a workout desperately needing an ice bath and a foam roller, it’s time for some cross training. Do something different that targets different muscle groups (preferably those muscle groups that aren’t exhausted and sore), and get some good ole’ active recovery in. Cross training allows you to maintain your fitness while still giving your muscles time to rest and rebuild themselves. No one likes running when their legs feel like bricks, and no one runs well like that, so start cross training and I promise you will notice a change!

I know it’s scary to decrease your weekly mileage. I was you three years ago. I understand the fear and hesitation. But I guarantee your body and your training will thank you in the end. Take the plunge and quite literally dive into cross training (that is, if you decide to swim).

Undergraduate student in the class of 2016 at The University of Pennsylvania studying English and Journalism. Avid triathlete. Aspiring ironman (woman). Lover of all things food and/or fitness related. Dog lover (especially my toy poodle, Martini).