5 Foods that Do More Than Just Taste Good

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Penn chapter.
The term “healthy eater” just got a whole new meaning. You may think you are a healthy eater, but do you actually known the nutritional benefits of the food that you are putting into your body? If not, then I am here to help. You may not realize this, but food is medicine. Whether you are trying to clear up your skin or trying to ward off the common cold, there is a food out there that you could be eating to help you do it. 

1. Kidney Beans: Fight Acne
Kidney beans are high in zinc, and studies have shown that there is a correlation between acne and low zinc levels. If you’re struggling with blemishes or bad skin, try eating some kidney beans! Throw them into a salad or cook them into a big pot of chili. Either way they are delicious and could help you clear up those zits that we all despise so much. 

2. Blueberries: Avoid hair breakage

Blueberries are packed with vitamin C, an essential nutrient that helps promote circulation to your scalp. Without enough vitamin C, you may find your hair breaking, so go ahead and enjoy as many of these tiny natural candies as you want! Eat ‘em alone as a snack or dessert or toss them into a bowl of yogurt or a smoothie for breakfast. They are sweet and tasty and easy to incorporate into any meal. 

3. Mushrooms: Strengthen your immune system

In addition to being loaded with protein, fiber, vitamin C, B vitamins, calcium and many other minerals, all of which help strengthen your immune system, mushrooms have compounds called beta-glucans in them which have major immune strengthening properties. Slice them raw on top of your salad or sautée them for a pasta dish! Either way, they are delicious and will help you avoid getting sick!

4. Citrus Fruits: Speed up injury recovery

If you are an athlete, then this is the perfect tip for you. Citrus fruits are loaded with vitamin C. Vitamin C is essential in helping to build new protein for our skin, scar tissue, tendons, ligaments and blood vessels, which is necessary when an injury is in its healing stages. Whether you are trying to heal from an injury or not, grab a grapefruit or an orange and enjoy as mid-morning snack! 

5. Oatmeal: Avoid Stress

In addition to being a filling and delicious option for breakfast, oatmeal causes your brain to produce serotonin, which has been found to create a calm feeling, allowing you to overcome stress. We are all a little too familiar with the feeling of being stressed, so as midterm season picks up again, try having a bowl of oatmeal for breakfast to stay relaxed and avoid stress. With a little bit of maple syrup and cinnamon, it is the perfect sweet breakfast. 

Undergraduate student in the class of 2016 at The University of Pennsylvania studying English and Journalism. Avid triathlete. Aspiring ironman (woman). Lover of all things food and/or fitness related. Dog lover (especially my toy poodle, Martini).