5 Fall Activities To Do Before It Gets Too Cold

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Penn chapter.
  1. Apple picking – I know, I know. This is extremely basic but don’t knock it until you’ve tried it. Apple picking is arguably the perfect fall activity. It’s an incredible excuse to get dressed up in your favorite fall clothing and hang out with friends, family, significant others, in a very casual environment. Follow it up with pumpkin picking to complete the look. Not only is this a great fall activity, you’ll have apples for days. Apple pie making is always the move.
  2. Go for a hike … or walk – This isn’t the easiest activity to participate in when you live in a city. However, the great outdoors is not all that far away. A quick train ride or drive will land you in beautiful suburbia where there are trails and parks galore. If you’d rather stay in the city, taking a casual walk down the Schuylkill River or around Rittenhouse Square is always a good time.
  3. Make something pumpkin-related – Yes, I realize pumpkin food items can be consumed outside of the season but it’s honestly less fun. Pick up some pumpkin pancake mix from Trader Joes or get a real pumpkin to roast and salt pumpkin seeds. Also, for coffee lovers, I swear Wawa’s pumpkin spice coffee is the best out there (mix the regular pumpkin spice coffee with the pumpkin spice latte…you will not regret it)
  4. Play a game of football, soccer, kickball, foursquare (or any other sport of your choosing) outside – Fall weather is the best in Philly because it’s no longer ungodly hot but it’s not quite too cold to justify staying inside. Before the wind tunnels by the highrises become actual death traps, make sure you get in a few more rounds of capture the flag.
  5. Go to a tailgate or host your own “tailgate”- there’s something cooler about day-drinking in the fall. Create your own version of a spiked apple cider or invite everyone over for brunch with mimosas and Bloody Mary’s. Then head to an actual football game or just turn one on at home. There’s something here for everyone to enjoy – booze, food, football, and other potential fun activities you come up with. 
Lydia Roberts is a junior at the University of Pennsylvania.  She is majoring in Communication and minoring in Gender, Sexuality, and Women's Studies, and also in French Studies.  She is an enthusiastic member of an a capella group at Penn and has a affinity for sour gummy candy.