This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

Ever wonder why finding proper tips on unconventional hair removal methods is so hard to find these days? Why health magazines, TV ads and online bloggers seem to avoid the subject entirely as if it were taboo, or if they do, the depiction of a flawless, smooth surface is represented as the (never achieved) final product? Ladies and gents, I understand your frustration. It’s 2015, and there is a wealth of knowledge you must know when it comes to balding your apple bottom and nether region. I mean, why must the razor blade be the only option to contemplate when at least 6 other methods are available at your fingertips!

The truth is, the common practice of shaving has been around for nearly 3 centuries, and has ranged from a large turkey-cutter-style knife that I wouldn’t trust a single person with, to a safety razor that you couldn’t even hurt a fly with even if your tried. These extremes can both offer you a touchable smoothness like no other; however, you might reconsider using that bad boy after reading this. Let’s explore womanhood, shall we?

Before I get to the interesting part of this article, I must warn you that in order to attain a desirable canvas for your armpits, legs, lower back, face, arms and brazillian (everything is removed apart from your dignity), there are steps you must abide by in order to make my argument hold true.

Step 1: Cleanse
It is so important that the target area is clean before any hair removal product comes in contact. Dirt, oil, and sweat can enter any accidental nicks and cuts during the process which can lead to undesirable results or inflamed skin. Additionally, if a razor blade is being used, ensure that it hasn’t been used by another person for health and safety reasons, that no rust has formed on the metallic blades, and that you have proper lubricant for a more pleasant shave.

Step 2: Exfoliate
Unfortunately, when you thought you were all clear to go, I have to say there is another critical part to this routine, (remember, I only want what’s best for you). You need to exfoliate. Exfoliation, at the least, is a fundamental aspect of life, of beauty, and of happiness (to some degree) that rids your skin of the toxins, makeup, and dead skin cells that have accumulated throughout the week. A weekly head-to-toe scrubbing session allows for skin to breath and overall diminishes the chance of clogged pores. So much fun in one little bottle.

Step 3: Hair removal
Depending on your budget, the time you don’t have, and location (yes, waxing will require handy mirrors and leg raisings to get a better view, so get comfy), there are methods suited for all needs and preferences, listed in order of budget rankings.

Method 1: Shaving
Description: Removes hair at the skin’s surface. Convenient for larger areas like the legs; shave against the grain, and areas needing more coordination such as bikini (pubic area and butt) and underarms; shave with the grain. Easy way to groom shape patches, from bare to a landing strip, or landing strip to a heart, for a bedroom boost!
Time: Takes 3-10 minutes, depending on area. Lasts 1-3 days.
Cost: $5-$10 (disposable), $10-$20 (non-disposable)
Location: shower

Method 2: Cream Depilatory
Description: Taking the form of a lotion or a foam, this cream is chemically designed to dissolve even the most stubborn of hair slightly below the skin’s surface. Strong chemical odor. Is best removed with a terry washcloth or used rag as it may stain material.
Time: Takes 10 minutes of waiting. Lasts 1-4 days.
Cost: $5-$10
Location: pre-shower

Method 3: Waxing and Sugaring
Description: A sticky cold/warm resin is applied onto hair (hair must be between ¼ – ½ inch long) and is pulled off rapidly against the growth of the hair follicle, removing the hair straight from the roots. Good for all areas including face, legs, underarms, bikini, and brazilian (pubic area, butt and butt crease (so pleasant…)). Do not overheat as you will burn your skin! High pain factor so toughen up. P.S: Ask esthetician for a landing strip.
Time: Takes 15 minutes – 1h (beauty is pain, ladies). Lasts 2-6 weeks.
Cost: $10 for DIY, $75 for salons
Location: Salon or at home

Method 4: Tweezing and Threading
Description: Tweezers or doubled-up strands of cotton thread around hairs, both pulling them out from the roots. Low pain factor; feels like a pinch. Most commonly used for scattered hair regions such as eyebrows, upper lips, or for finishing touches after waxing.
Time: Takes 10-15 minutes. Daily maintenance is advised.
Cost: $5-$20 for tweezers, salon threading starts at $5
Location: Salon or at home

Method 5: Electrolysis
Description: A needle with an electrical current is entered in hair shaft, one hair at a time, pulsing energy to the root and destroying it. Because hair grows in stages, multiple sessions are required to completely eliminate the regrowth of the hair. Best suited for smaller areas since sessions can get quite lengthy, although larger areas are also admitted. Feels like tiny pinpricks.
Time: Takes 1 session per area, every 2 weeks for 6 months. Lasts foreva.
Cost: Sessions vary from $15-$100, depending on area
Location: Salon

Method 6: Laser and Pulsed Light
Description: The most bang for your buck. Light is emitted on a wavelength that completely kills hair follicle. Also requires a few sessions for permanent results. Light skin and dark hair is the best requirement for this option as it can only target visible, high pigmented hairs. Slight discomfort; however, bearable. Can be used on all body areas.
Time: Takes 4-6 treatments. Lasts a lifetime.
Cost: Pull out your cash – sessions vary from $150-$3000
Location: Salon

Step 4: Moisturize
Once the chosen method has been handled, the final step to absolute smoothness is born in a bottle of unscented cream. For maximum benefit, apply directly after shaving or depilatory cream, and as for the other methods, be sure to wait at least a few hours before rubbing any sort of substance on this delicate, ‘reborn’, back to baby-smoothness skin, as it may remain an angry red for the remainder of the day.

*As a ‘writer’s’ note based off of experience, I would highly recommend the unnecessary but game changing step to exfoliate in the shower POST shaving, especially on the legs and underarms. This not only removes any dead skin cells that have been slaughtered off and left behind on your limbs, but it makes the skin’s surface smooth, preventing any ingrown hairs or razor bumps derived from irritation. Try it, I dare you.

It’s safe to say that after these four fabulous steps of hair removing fun, you will be the sexiest gal in the house, and it might even provoke some kinky bedroom fun because quite frankly, you simply cannot leave those silky regions go unnoticed… 

Sources
1
InStyle’s Getting Gorgeous Print. Written by Jennifer Tung 

Lift. Outdoors. Learning German uOttawa- International Business