This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

With winter comes with countless things you have to worry about, like, cold weather, icy roads (horrible for heels) and the lists goes on. The last thing you want to add on top of all of that is bad makeup, but fear not, if you follow the easy beauty tips below, you might not have to!

Primer

With the harsh wind-chill and even harsher snowfall, using a primer is the most important step to not only protect your makeup but also add extra moisture to protect your skin from dryness.

High-end: Benefit Porefessional

Drugstore: Nyx Studious Perfect Photo-Loving Prime

Eye shadow

Despite freezing in -100 degree weather, you can still project the illusion of warmth with your makeup look. For winter days stick to the warmer tones in your eye shadow palettes, and you can even try branching out to a daytime smoky eye look.

High-end: Anastasia Modern Renaissance

Drugstore: Morphe 350 Palette

Highlighter

It’s not a winter look until you’re sporting a highlight as bright as snow. For that extra glow, apply your favourite highlighter before and after your foundation.

High-end: Fenty KillaWatt Highlighter

Drugstore: NYX Bright Idea Illuminating Stick

Lip Stick

Would it be winter if chapped lips were not one of your worst concerns? Instead of sticking to a clear balm, try elevating the look with a moisturizing lipstick, and keep it subtle with a nude pink. If you’re feeling daring, try going for a bolder look with a dark red shade.

High-end: Bobbi Brown Luxe Lipstick

Drugstore: Burt’s Bee Lipstick

Hopefully these tips help make your winter more bearable, and keep you looking great throughout the season as well! 

Vanessa is a writer on the Fashion & Beauty team at the University of Ottawa Her Campus Chapter.She is studying Social Science with a double minor in Economics and Public Administration. In her free time she loves to write, read, dance, and explore the city.