bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Winter is Coming But Don’t Stay on the Couch!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

Everyday it’s getting harder and harder to go outside even in a parka. You may want to stay inside, sleep, watch a movie or read a book and while those options sound appealing, you can’t do them all winter.   Eventually, you’ll have to get up and get moving. This may even mean going outside to get some physical activity which isn’t only walking to and from your bus stop.

The good news is that, while you don’t necessarily need a gym membership in order to stay fit during the winter, the uOttawa gym memberships are included in the tuition that we pay as students. Why not make use of your money by going to the school gym and trying out a new machine or a simple workout plan.

For example, here’s a simple workout plan that you can easily use while you’re at the gym:

Free classes are available at the school gym or sport complex. There are free group exercise classes or free drop in activities such as swimming, squash and other sports. Check out uOttawa’s recreation calender for the month of December here.

If have money and are willing to spend it then you can definitely register for uOttawa’s many fitness activities some of which include as aquatics, dance, fitness classes and intramural sports. Why not gather up all your friends and join a dodge ball team or whatever sport all of you are interested in?

Another simple way to get a bit of physical activity each day is by walking. Try using the health app on the iPhone to count your steps and try to set a goal each day. You don’t even have to walk outside, instead, you can go to the mall and walk around there for a bit. Try using stairs at every chance that you get. Yes, it may be intimating but, you feel so accomplished after walking up a flight of stairs. Eventually, you will get the hang of it and won’t be huffing and puffing by the time you reach the next level.

You can also create a home gym with your roommates or your friends. Google Zumba/workout videos and workout together once or twice a week. Working out with a friend is great motivation and will discourage both of you from flopping on each other. Friends who sweat together, stay together.

While there’s no snow yet, you can figure out what sport or activity that you’d like to join when winter finally comes. You can take up skiing lessons, snowboarding or even snow-shoeing. Learning a new sport will motivate you to go outside and enjoy the -25ºC weather. If you’re on a student budget, you can always go skating on the canal or at SENS rink of dreams right outside city hall.

It’s crucial to exercise anytime during the year, but it’s especially important when the days become shorter and we become lazier. We need vitamin D from the sun for stronger bones, to absorb calcium and to keep our immune system strong during the winter. Even working out couple times a week will keep you away from the winter blues and your brain will continue to release chemicals that will keep you happy, keep you de-stressed, reduce anxiety and will just make feel better all around. Working out keeps you healthy and will keep you away from gaining weight from the long winter. By the time spring 2018 rolls around, you will be a new and improved person.

Sources: Cover, 1, 2,