What You Need to Know about Meeting Your Significant Other’s Parents

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

So you’ve been hooking up with the cutie from the second floor all semester and he or she has finally asked you to meet their parents over the Holidays! This experience can be a make or break for a relationship. There are a few things to consider when meeting the parents and family of your significant other and some tips to get you the invite back.

1. The first thing to consider is the environment in which you will be meeting their parents. Find out what you guys will be doing first and adjust your outfit accordingly. You want to dress to impress, lose the ripped jeans and low cut tops. Our outfit will be the first thing they will see and you do not want to start the night off with a bad impression based on your poor attire choice. It is always nice to be presentable no matter what the occasion is, keep it simple and keep it classy.

2. The next step when preparing to meet the parents is finding a small gift to bring. Do not show up empty handed. If you were invited for dinner a nice bottle of wine or fancy chocolates is very suitable. Find out what they enjoy if it is wine red or white or if its chocolates make the right choice between milk, dark and white. Once arriving give them the gift with a nice smile and a firm handshake.

3. Prior to arrival ask your significant other some background questions for preparation. Find out what their parents do for a living and of any interests or hobbies they may be into. This is great for conversation and eliminates those awkward moments between conversations. When carrying conversation always keep eye contact to show you have an interest in what they have to say. Also knowing some details about them will draw the conversation away from you just talking about yourself, which can often occur when nervous. If they have siblings you may be meeting find out what their interest are as well. Winning over the siblings hearts is one of the best things you can do for a relationship.

4. When carrying a conversation just remember to stay calm and honest. Parents can tell when you are being fake and sucking up. It is good to complement them on the décor of their home and the delicious food you have indulged in. It is also nice for parents to hear what a great job they have done raising their children so a few complements about how great your date is at making you laugh is great to add in, although you should keep it simple and do not over complement everything. Next, you must show interest in what ever they are talking about and remain cheerful and happy. You want to make sure that you demonstrate their child has made the correct choice by inviting you over.

Finally, if you brought that bottle of wine remember it is there to share. When drinks are being served know your limits and try to stick to just a glass or two. You do not want to be that kid who got drunk while meeting the parents for the first time. Just remember they are people just like you and I, do not be nervous and strut your stuff!

Photo credits:

http://lifewise.canoe.ca/SexRo…

http://thesnarkywriter.blogspo…