UO App: Sandy Hill’s 10 Best Kept Secrets

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

The University of Ottawa’s Guide to …Sandy Hill’s 10 Best Kept Secrets!

Sandy Hill, Ottawa’s largest student community, is filled with great local businesses and amazing ways to enjoy your university experience. To help you discover the fantastic benefits of Sandy Hill, HC uOttawa has complied a list of the 10 best places to visit while at the University of Ottawa.

1. Best all around: Sandy Hill Lounge and Grill (S.H.L.A.G.)

Located on Somerset East and Blackburn, this small locally owned pub is a must visit during your time at U Ottawa. S.H.L.A.G. features American soul food and Ontario beers at great prices. Anytime from 10:30am until late everyday, stop by for 11$ pitchers of Steamwhistle or catch the amazing brunch on weekends. Current daily specials are: Sunday Steak et Frites Night 8.99, Monday Burger Night (buy one burger get second one for 6$), Taco Tuesday 7.99 for 3, and Wednesday Wings Night.

2. Best Poutine and Cheapest Beer: La Maison
Faces magazine recently named this watering hole as Ottawa’s Favourite Student Hangout. Located on Somerset East and King Edward, Maison features 10$ pitchers of Sangria and Canadian daily. Don’t forget to try the poutine special of the day to complete your Maison experience.

3. Best Study Hangout: Fleur Tea
A well-welcomed recent addition to Sandy Hill’s variety of restaurants and hangouts, Fleur Tea has a relaxing atmosphere often complete with live acoustic music. Found on Somerset East and Russell, Fleur Tea is a great alternative to the crowed library, check out the many different types of tea and if you’re hungry try the 4.99$ omelette combo or the 4.25$ bagel combo.

4. Best Local Convenient Store: Michael’s
Another locally owned and ran business, Michaels’ secret success is found in its delicious homemade samosas, brownies, and other baked goods. You can find everything you need in this small store on Somerset East and Russell.

5. Best Spot to Print: Merriam Print
Known for friendly service and student pricing Merriam Print at 252 Laurier is the place to go if you need posters, flyers, business cards, banners or really anything printed.

6. Best Place for a Picnic: Strathcona Park

Beside the Rideau River lies Strathcona Park, a Sandy Hill icon for over 100 years. Take some time this fall to enjoy a romantic picnic, play a game of football or go for a run in this beautiful historic park.

7. Best Drink and Appetizer Deals: Urban Well
Perfect for hosting your next event or for a drink with the girls, Urban Well at 244 Laurier offers great specials everyday. Monday 3$ tequila shots, Tuesday 3$ drinks, Wednesday Wing Night, Thursday 3$ jaggerbombs, Friday 5$ martinis, Saturday 6$ doubles, and Sunday Dinner Specials

8. Best Laundry Mat: Suds n’ Duds
Made the mistake of renting a place with no washing machine or had the misfortune of yours breaking down? Run down to Suds n’ Duds on Somerset and Chapel for the cheapest laundry mat in Sandy Hill.

9. Best Hangover Breakfast: F&S

Part of the university experience is finding the perfect hangover cure, thankfully Father and Son’s on Osgoode and King Edward has that covered. The greasy breakfast special, 4.29$ before 11am, is sure to have you feeling better in no time.

10. Best Times: Your Friends
Sandy Hill and the University of Ottawa’s community are full of fun things to enrich your time here in Ottawa. Whether it is at a local bar or in someone’s living room, get together often with friends to alleviate stress and truly enjoy your university experience.

Photo Credits:

http://www.sandyhillloungegrill.ca/
http://www.wikipedia.org
Sally Dimachki