This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

Of all the patterns and prints, plaid has to be the most universally flattering and versatile. Plaid looks good on everyone, from the lumberjack to the Burberry models of the world, and for that, we are grateful.

Even though plaid started out as a part of Scottish culture, it was quickly appropriated and consumed by the masses. Today, we can see how certain types of people wear plaid. Check it out!

1. The Hipster

The hipster is possibly the most obvious type of person who wears plaid these days. Usual combos include a flannel button up shirt, skinny jeans, and a beanie.

2. The Lumbersexual

So, according to urban dictionary, a lumbersexual is a fusion of a lumberjack and a metrosexual, or is simply a sexy, bearded man who dresses in flannel. Either way, we’ll take it ‘cause we love a good man bun!

3. The Preppy Collegiette

Plaid skirts are not just for school uniforms. For those of us who attempt to channel Blair Waldorf, this preppy chic look is our #StyleGoal!

4. The 90s Kid

In the 90s, the grunge subculture was born and apparently plaid button ups became a thing. Now, when any of us channel the 90s, the first thing we think of is flannel shirts. And overalls. And mom-jeans. But mostly flannel.

5. Basically every Canadian, ever.

Now, I don’t know if I was the only one who noticed, but there was a crazy amount of plaid shirts on Canada Day this summer. If red and white are our national colours, then plaid is our unofficial print of the nation. And I think we’re totally okay with that.

6. So then… everyone?

Really, plaid has become universal. Lucky for us, no one can really look bad in plaid. A little plaid never killed nobody!

Are you mad about plaid? Do you have a favourite plaid piece in your closet? Snap a pic and tag us on Instagram or Twitter!

Sources: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Kaysey graduated from the University of Ottawa with a double major in English and Sociology and is currently studying Professional Writing and Communications at Humber College. She hails from the fabulous city of Toronto and can quote Disney like it's her job. Some of her favourite things to do are reading, writing, and aimlessly surfing the internet for inspiration. Follow her on Twitter or Instagram, @kaysey_dee,  or check out her blog: Portrait of a Fashionista