Turn Summer Clothes into Winter Clothes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

We all try to be stylish year-round, but if you’re anything like me you probably don’t have a lot of extra cash to spend on having a full wardrobe for all four seasons. Here are some tips and tricks to easily turn your favourite summer clothes into winter clothes for little-to-no money!

1. Dresses
Dresses are probably the easiest clothing items to make winter-proof. All you’ll need are some tights or leggings and a cardigan or a long sleeve shirt. Layering leggings under a dress will keep you super warm in the winter and make your dress look super cute with those winter boots you currently live in. If the dress has short sleeves, layering a cardigan over top allows you to look sophisticated while keeping warm. If you’re feeling bold, layer a long sleeve shirt under a dress. Depending on which dress you choose to wear, you can totally get a laid back and flowy vibe, or a super trend-setting look like the one pictured below. The possibilities are almost endless, so have fun with it and don’t be afraid to be bold!

2. Ripped Jeans
Ripped jeans are trendy again, but they can be super cold in the winter. A stylish way to fix this problem is to wear leggings under your jeans, black or patterned, depending on the rest of your outfit. Putting tights on under your jeans, especially patterned tights, is also a slightly edgier look if you’re feeling bold and really want to turn your jeans into a statement piece.

3. Tank Tops
Summer tank tops are some of the most versatile pieces of clothing I own. I find myself wearing them in all four seasons because of how much I like the prints and because of how they can match with almost anything. An easy way to make a tank top winter-appropriate is to add a blazer over top of it. Most of us have at least one blazer we use for job interviews, and layering it over a patterned tank top can make the blazer itself more fun while keeping you nice and warm. Long, cozy sweaters layered over a tank top also look cute and will keep you feeling snuggly all day long! Add a hat for bonus cozy points if you’re feeling especially chilly!

Sources: Cover

SaveSave

Bethany is currently a fourth year Anthropology and Sociology student at the University of Ottawa. She loves fashion, makeup, travel and her dog Gatsby. In her spare time, she loves writing, reading, and exploring the city.