The Travel Diaries: How to Pack for Your Semester Abroad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

So you have decided to participate in an academic exchange. Congratulations! You have already decided on where you want to study, you have arranged your visa or residence permit application, and you have arranged for housing abroad. There is only one thing left to do before you board the plane: the dreaded moment when you have to somehow pack up your life and fit it into 1 suitcase, 1 carry-on, and a personal article such as a backpack. Not to fear—Her Campus uOttawa has got you covered! Here are some tips on how to pack effectively for your 4-6 month semester abroad.

The first and most important lesson for packing for 4-6 months is to remember that less is always more.

The first time that I tried to pack my suitcase, I ended up with over three large suitcases of clothing and shoes. My most important tip to all Her Campus collegiettes is to only pack the necessities. While it may be tempting to bring all of your favourite things from home, do your best not to over-pack and stick to the essentials. Below are some useful tips for packing strategically for your semester abroad.

Tip #1: Make the most out of your luggage set by planning to bring back than you took with you on exchange.  Bring some large shopping bags, and a collapsible duffel bag. If you have to re-organize your luggage at the airport to accommodate weight restrictions, extra collapsible carry-on bags will be very useful. Try and pick a good duffel bag so that you can easily pack for weekend trips and Ryan Air flights.

Tip #2: Limit the amount of toiletries that you bring with you. The reasoning behind this tip is simple: if you can live without a product or buy it when you arrive, leave the product at home. Try to only bring enough toiletries to last you the first couple weeks. Instead of bringing perfume, nail polish and hairspray, consider only bringing travel-sized shampoo and soap, a limited make-up supply, two sets of wet wipes, travel-sized Kleenex packs, and a roll of toilet paper instead.

Tip #3: Make sure that the clothing and footwear that you choose to bring on exchange is versatile. Chunky sweaters take up a lot of space in your luggage, so it is more useful to bring clothes that you can layer, like cardigans and dressy tank tops to help you transition your wardrobe from one season to the next easily. Instead of bringing your favourite pair of stilettos, consider bringing a pair of wedges or platform heels instead to protect your heels from the cobblestone streets.

Tip #4: Think of the necessities when packing. Make sure that you have a good power adaptor. It’s a good idea to have one that is small and that you can modify so that you can use it in different countries. Invest in a good backpack, a multipurpose tool, some good locks for your luggage, an Ethernet cable in case you need it for Internet in your dormitory, and an external hard drive for your computer.

Packing for exchange can be overwhelming at times, but be patient! You will be having the time of your life abroad in no time.