This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

Soulmate to swolemate, am I right? Check out any local gym and you will see couples working out together more and more often these days. Why? Because it’s literally the most motivating gym buddy you could possibly imagine. Training with your partner not only allows you to push each other to live a healthy lifestyle, inside and outside the gym, but can also help build a stronger bond that will ultimately bring you closer.

Not seeing anyone right now? Working out with someone you’re interested in, but not dating yet, is also a great way to get to know them in a casual setting!

Step aside, “Netflix & Chill”, let’s talk about Lift & Chill. We’ve compiled a few of our favourite reasons why working out with Bae could be the best decision you’ll make this year!

1. Spotter Game Strong
Isn’t it better knowing you have a trustworthy spotter, rather than asking a complete stranger just using the machine beside you? Asking someone to spot you who genuinely cares about your health and form is really beneficial in the long run. It’s important for both of you to learn proper technique for spotting so you can safely help one another, regardless of differences in strength. Plus, if you’re doing squats or bench presses, you can add a little extra weight to the bar because your partner provides the support you need. Let’s be honest, having your honey’s bod nice and close doesn’t suck either.

2. Together You’re Stronger Than Your Excuses
By having an exercise partner who you spend lots of time with outside the gym, you are able to motivate one another to do better on a regular basis. Whether it’s with healthy eating, or making sure to squeeze in a run during a busy day, you hold them accountable to stick to their workout plan, and they do the same for you. On top of the increase in motivation and accountability, other aspects of your relationship could also see benefits from an increase in cardio endurance and strength…need I elaborate?

3. Great Minds Train Alike
Having a workout partner allows you to combine your knowledge and training routines, which provides you with so many more options for different workout combinations. It’s amazing what you can learn from each other when you let yourself relax or try new things. What’s even better is having your significant other there as a support system. Maybe neither of you are super familiar with the gym, so having your #1 around makes things a lot less intimidating. Instead of feeling self-conscious, you’d basically be the envy of the rest of the gym members if you were there crushing weights with your sweetheart.

4. It’s Actually FUN
Some people don’t want to look sweaty or embarrassing in front of someone they are dating, especially in new relationships. That’s totally understandable! But the best part about connecting with someone at the gym is the level of friendship you can create. When you’re exercising, there’s a certain level of vulnerability when you’re working so hard; it’s not emotional vulnerability, but still puts yourself out there, which ultimately allows a strong connection to build. Not only is this person someone you really like, but it’s someone you can count on to encourage you.  If you take away the first three benefits we mentioned, at least you know that this is someone you actually enjoy spending your time with, right? Although it’s important to set serious goals for yourself, it doesn’t have to be boring or serious all the time. You might be surprised how much relationship stress can be relieved at the gym in a healthy way… and how DAMN HOT your Bae looks in workout clothes!

Nothing says date night like crushing a workout together. Get sweaty with Bae…there’s always the option to shower together after!

Do you workout with your boyfriend or girlfriend? Let us know why it works for you on twitter @HCuOttawa!

XO

Sources
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6