Tales from the Grave: DIY Dia de los Muertos inspired Makeup!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

October is not only the month for breast cancer awareness, but it’s also the month many celebrate All Hallow’s Eve, AKA Halloween. It was once a time when people gathered together to celebrate the Western Christian feast, but it’s since grown into a celebration when you get to dress up and beg for candy! However, there are countries and cultures in our day and age, such as in Mexico, where a special tradition occurs around the end of October. During this tradition, people remember and pray for their close friends and family who’ve passed away. They call it Dia de los Muertos: The Day of the Dead. Like Halloween, it is related to the Catholic celebrations of All Saints and Souls day. It is a time when Mexican families gather to remember the deadby bringing food, water, and even flowers to the cemeteries for those who are deceased. Despite the sadness these rituals may bring, this is only one side to the celebration of the deceased’s passing. Those that celebrate the passing of their loved ones enjoy dancing, music, food, and even dressing up in beautiful costumes to celebrate this event. There’s even beautiful and original artwork that features various representations of this tradition. One in particular is José Guadelupe Posada’s Catrina (La Calavera Catrina), which is a zinc etching that encompasses the true meaning of this Mexican tradition.

Here are some superb videos and DIY assistance to create your very own Dia de los Muertos inspired makeup! Also known as Sugar Skull makeup to many, it’s oth elegant and creative as well as spooky!

Here are some more ideas of sugar skulls for your Halloween designs!!

These are also very helpful videos on how to create your own sugar skull look: 

1. Kat Sketch’s Blood Red Catrina Sugar Skull Tutorial 

2. Michelle Phan’s Beautiful Death

3. NadiaMaquillage’s Niia Hall Maquillage #SANTAMUERTE:

4. And, of course, MAC’s very own Rick Baker demostrates How to Create the day of the Dead

The motions: dressing up, dipping your face in face paint and putting on that wig you know you’ve had for a while but never had the chance to wear it. Wiggling into that thrift store costume with your empty pillowcase in hand prepares you to go out and roam the night. Trick-or-treating is not only meant for children but for anyone who’s looking for a good time, free candy, or even a nice study break. There’s also something riveting and adventurous about venturing out into the creepy night that sends your adrenaline rushing. That’s how you know Halloween will be the night you never forget.

Dia de los Muertos is a time when everyone should celebrate the loss of a loved one. So why not remember them by celebrating the life they lived, and dressing up for the festivities? They’d want you to have fun, anyways!

Credits: 1 2 3 4

Hey my name is Madison, and I'm a fourth year English & Communications major at the University of Ottawa. I love fashion, beauty, and anything health related! I'm a frequent blogger (yay for tumblr), painter, writer, vinyl collector, traveler, shopaholic, and a hopeless romantic.