Taboo Trick or Treat: Cultural Appropriation and Halloween Costumes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

Halloween is a scary time of year and not just because of the howls and haunts. The costume choices some people make can be equally as disturbing.We’re not talking about the terrible, yet amazingly punny costumes that are a Halloween staple, but rather the culturally offensive ensembles that always seem to come out to spook us every October 31st.

Dressing up as another race or cultural group not only screams unoriginality, but it reinforces inaccurate stereotypes. This appropriation in which someone ‘plays’ the part of ‘another’ without knowing the experience of their daily oppression or discrimination is as frightening a thought as walking into a haunted house alone. Some of the cringe-worthy offenders include: Pocahontas, Gangsters, Geisha, the Cowboy/Indian duo, Mexicans, Terrorists, Hitler, and the increasingly popular Guidos/Guidettes. Add ‘sexy’ in front of any of those and you’re in for a mixed treat bag of oppression and objectification.

The phenomenon surrounding culturally insensitive costume choices has been an issue recently tackled by Ohio University’s Students Teaching About Racism in Society (STARS). Their series of posters read: “We’re a culture, not a costume. This is not who I am and it is not okay”. They have garnered considerable media attention, which looks promising for hopefully making these taboo Halloween costume ideas a thing of the past.

But in the meantime, if you were previously unsure about what to dress up as, make sure to avoid going the culturally appropriating route. Halloween costumes should be scary in the fright sense, not scary in the ‘I can’t believe people’s unchecked racism’ sense.

It is fair to say though, that not all people who choose these types of costumes are aware of the offensive connotations they are perpetuating, and not everyone has had their ‘ah-ha’ moment of socially conscious understanding…So in a valiant effort by you, intelligent and aware HerCampus readers, we present you a few guidelines introduced by TheSexist to help you and everyone surrounding you appreciate Halloween with all its complexities.

A Guide on how to tell your friend their Halloween costume is offensive

Step One: Try not to make it personal.
Start out initiating a general conversation about a bad costume you saw, or about the faux-pas of Halloween costume choices and who is offended by them. It is possible that through this conversation, your friend may be able to realize for themselves the err in their ways.

Step Two: Accept that they will most likely still take it personally to some degree.
Being called out on their discriminatory behaviour is a sensitive issue for many and it is probable that your pal has already become invested in their costume idea. The idea of their pre-imagined ensemble becoming a showcase of unintended racism would be understandably upsetting.

Step Three: Back up your concerns by mentioning those who may be offended.
Also, mentioning the possibility of someone from the minority group they plan to dress up as, seeing them is enough to make your confused costume-wearer re-evaluate.

Step Four: Suggest alternatives.
Nobody likes someone who has a problem with something but isn’t willing to offer other options. Convincing your friend that picking a new costume isn’t going to ruin their Halloween is essential. You can propose ways to use aspects of their current costume to make a new final product.

Hopefully this solves your costume conundrum, and once you’ve got yourself and your friends dressed up in stylish-socially-conscious-costumes, you can start spreading the word about the STARS posters!

Now that you have what it takes to keep from falling out of line, it is time to have good time this Halloween!

Photo Credits:
http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/were-a-culture-not-a-costume