This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

Thanksgiving is a holiday most people spend with their family over a giant feast. However, there is a handful of us who have no choice but to stay at school and fend for ourselves during this wonderful holiday. If you are part of the latter group, don’t worry, you might be at an advantage to your peers! While everyone else is at home eating their standard meal and listening to their Aunt Mildred mutter “back in my day…” for the 11th time in the last hour, you have the entire weekend to do whatever your heart desires! All this free time may seem overwhelming, but luckily we have compiled a list of activities to help you make this holiday entirely your own!

1. Go to the market.

Long gone are the days that we celebrate the last of the harvest, but you still have the benefit of strolling over to one of the various markets around the city and taking advantage of the last of the local fruits and veggies until early November. Make sure you check out the Byward Market which is open every day until about 5pm or check out this list of the many other markets around the city.

2. Go for a walk/hike.

Winter is imminent, we are left with a small window for getting fresh air and clearing our heads. Leave your neighbourhood behind and go on a leisurely stroll to enjoy the last of the mild weather. Bonus: If you have access to a car, go for a hike in Gatineau Park. The views are breathtaking!

3. Instagram about it.

The limit does not exist when it comes to cute fall photos, so Instgram all of your Thanksgiving adventures. And don’t let anyone take that away from you.

4. Go to the gym.

There will arguably never be a moment in your lifetime where the gym is as empty as the Sports Complex on Thanksgiving weekend. Take advantage of the privacy and try those pullups you’ve been afraid to do!

5. Make a huge meal.

You will likely have the kitchen to yourself, so go ahead and make something messy. Cook a feast of all the things on your recipe Pinterest board.

6. Have dinner with other people who stayed at school.

Now that you’ve made a feast, find people to share it with. It is guaranteed that someone on your facebook friends list also stayed in the city, so reach out to those people even if you might not be that close. It might mean the start of a new friendship.

7. Binge watch Netflix.

You have the time to guiltlessly indulge. You do you.

8. Go apple picking.

Apples are in season, and you’d be surprised how quickly you can pick a full bushel! Plus think of all the fantastic photo opportunities.

9. Learn to bake an apple pie.

Now take those apples and bake a delicious dessert to complement your feast. You’ll be surprised how much better your baked goods will taste with fresh ingredients!

10. Carve a pumpkin.

Tis the season! Gear up for Halloween by cutting a face into a pumpkin. Bonus: You can bake delicious foods and desserts with the pumpkin guts! Try this pumpkin spice casserole.

Picture References

1, 2, 3, 4, 5