This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

Just like our style, we all have our own go-to genres in music that we feel we can relate to, and are comfortable with the most. A great way to keep our taste in style and music fun and exciting, is to try something new! This sequel from Style by Sound: Part One, looks at fashion styles that reflect music genres totally outside the box, and still just as great as your personal favourites!

Rock

Loud and free: Rock music doesn’t necessarily mean dark clothing, it’s a genre of music that pushes boundaries not only with its sound, but also its style using asymmetric outfits, layers, and illustrative shirts.

Stores to Shop: Hot Topic  

Alternative

Unique and blended: This genre doesn’t necessarily fit into a specific group because it samples from all the other music genres to make its own unique sound. You can do the same with style! Mix and match different pieces for your own unique style, start by trying out some ripped jeans with structured tops.  

Stores to Shop: Urban Outfitters, Roots, Milk Shop

EDM

Fun and vibrant: This style of music is played at the height of people’s excitement. Channel all your bright and neon colours, paired with lots of accessories, and you can even add some glow in the dark pieces for fun! You want your clothes to match the level of fun that you are having!

Stores to Shop: Forever 21, Boathouse

Indie

Calm and composed: Artists in the genre usually create most or all components of their music by themselves. To really rock this genre, put on a DIY attitude and try making your own clothes. Don’t worry, this doesn’t have to be from scratch, you can start by simply reworking old clothing into new pieces.

Stores to Shop: Thrift Stores, Vintage Stores, Art Supplies Stores

Vanessa is a writer on the Fashion & Beauty team at the University of Ottawa Her Campus Chapter.She is studying Social Science with a double minor in Economics and Public Administration. In her free time she loves to write, read, dance, and explore the city.