This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

I’ve been wearing glasses for about 14 years now. Let me tell you, when I learned I was going to wear glasses, I was so happy. I was going be able to sport cool glasses and show my intelligence to the world (obviously having glasses means that you’re a nerd). However, after all these years, I can say that it’s a complete pain. I just hate it with a passion. Why you may ask? Here are some struggles only people who wear glasses will understand.

1-      The main struggle is more the fear of one day becoming completely blind.  The reason why people wear glasses is because we have eye problems or diseases. Some of them develop faster than others while others only appear later with aging. Therefore, your eye care always worries you…

2-      I don’t know why they get dirty so quickly. You clean them one second then thirty seconds later they get even dirtier because food just splashed on them or because dust landed on them. Always carry paper tissue on you, because wiping your glasses with your clothes is the worst idea ever.

3-      After you hit a certain age, unfortunately your health card doesn’t cover the expense of your eye care services which means on top of having to buy a good pair of glasses you have to pay for your frequent examinations.

4-      Having to choose a good pair of glasses is another agony. You spend numerous hours (yes hours, not minutes) trying countless glasses. Picking from various brands, designs and shapes. It’s a problem because you’re going to have sport these glasses for a year or two. So, you have to make the right decision. However, after spending years of wearing many pairs, you just don’t care anymore as long as they are within your budget. 

5-      Avoid wearing your glasses when it’s raining because you will not see anything. You will have to take them off which means you will possibly be a danger when crossing the streets. Also, avoid training with them on because you will be sweating and they will not stop sliding off your face. (So irritating!)

6-      When you become old enough, the decision of leaving your eyeglasses behind and start wearing contact lenses is something to think of.  People are always so quick to judge you about refusing to wear them. However, do they know what it’s like to having to put your finger in your eye? It’s such a terrifying experience because you’re so afraid that you will pop your eye. Then, having to take them off, you literary have to pinch the contact in your eye which is even scarier.

7-      Wearing eyes glasses means that you are bound to have accidents. You must always have a few bucks in your bank account so you can get your glasses repaired or replaced. For the first or second time, your eye doctor might do it for free if you are a regular, but later on you will have to pay.  If only magic was real, you could use that repair spell that Harry took advantage of…

8-      I must admit I wanted for so long to get laser eye surgery so I could finally get rid of my eyewear. Yet, after getting a little older so a little wiser (hopefully) I come to a conclusion that I will not risk of having an extremely bad outcome during or after the surgery. Yes, I know many people who have had the procedure, but I rather be safe…plus do you know how expensive this procedure costs? LOTS OF MONEY!

9-      When you lose your glasses and you have to find them without wearing your glasses….no comments.

10-   If having glasses wasn’t annoying enough, we have to endure them too when kissing or making out with your S.O. They can ruin a perfect moment. When you are in the heat of the moment, you don’t really have to stop and take off your glasses so you can be more comfortable. So, a little trick, don’t take them off but slide your eyewear on top of your head just like a head band. Magic!

This list is just a few of the struggles that we have to endure every day, there are a millions more (literally), but I don’t want to scare you because it’s not my intention at all. I just wanted you to get a glimpse of my world for a few minutes. Wearing eyewear isn’t the best thing in the world. However, I am glad that I only have myopia (can’t see from afar) and not battling some much severe health problems (knock on wood). 

Picture Credits:

Cover Picture

Gloria Charles-Pierre is Her Campus uOttawa Alumni. She was one of our writers for four years and the French editor for two years. Gloria graduated from the University of Ottawa with a degree in Arts specialized in French Lierature and two certificates in LSQ (Langue des Signes Québécoise). Now, she is in Teachers College and loving it. Gloria spends her time doing kick-boxing and working on her personnal writing project while growing in her faith. She hopes to travel more, and to continue her studies with a Masters in Education and also continue working in editing.