This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

Post-election 2016 (what I sometimes refer to as “doomsday”), I got angry and to be honest, I am still very angry. And as a super dramatic person, I tend to turn to music in bouts of emotional rage. I grew up in the age of “girl power”: I listened to The Spice Girls preaching sisterhood and Hannah Montana telling me that nobody’s perfect. So, it makes sense that, in this political climate, I’ve again turned to some classics and some newer (read: more inclusive) selections.

There are still times where I reach for music that isn’t the best in terms of messages or by problematic artists (Katy Perry, Eminem, etc.) However, most days I try to stick to some good ol’ feminist music that (gasp) portrays women in a respectful way. I know, what a concept! Luckily, in this generation of unlimited streaming and curated suggestions I’ve found it much easier to find and support the kind of artists that don’t tend to objectify women every other line.

When I talk about “feminist music,” I’m not referring to music that uses specific lines such as “f*ck the patriarchy” – though there definitely a few suggestions on here like that! Instead, I’m thinking more holistically, in the sense that the artists listed below are strong, feminist artists, characteristics which are reflected in their work. They are artists who should definitely be supported!

Below I’ve rallied up some of my favourite feminist music of recent for all different moods and genres. This list is by no means exhaustive; it’s just meant to be a good place to start exploring some feminist artists!

1. Formation – Beyonce

This one is obvious. It’s a) Beyonce and b) intersectional. There is just SO MUCH symbolism in the video that I would need a whole other article to talk about it!

BEST LYRIC: I just might be a black Bill Gates in the making

Watch it here

2. Beautiful Little Fools – Jorja Smith

This is one of those weirdly beautiful songs to the point that it’s actually sad. Jorja Smith has such a beautiful voice that always gives me such chills, especially here as she sings about the loss of self-love in an age of “Hollywood perception.”

BEST LYRIC: Why can’t you be a beautiful little girl/Instead of being a beautiful little fool? /I guess we’re all just beautiful little girls/Playing a game of being fooled

Watch it here

3. Power – Little Mix

Yet another sassy pop piece perfect for shower singing! The British group behind this hit has been criticized for being “too sexy” – the girls have clapped back multiple times by saying that their sexuality is theirs alone. So that’s pretty cool!

BEST LYRIC: Yeah they call me Lamborghini/Cause I know just what I’m worth 

Watch it here

4. Q.U.E.E.N. – Janelle Monae

Janelle Monae is a queen by definition so it’s fitting that she so perfectly titled this song as such! I cannot stress enough how important these lyrics are, especially in an intersectional sense! Do yourself a favour and read them because, wow, I still get blown away by the truth behind it all.

BEST LYRIC: THE WHOLE SONG REALLY but one of my favourites is “Well I’m gonna keep leading like a young Harriet Tubman/ you can take my wings but I’m still goin’ fly/And even when you edit me the booty don’t lie”

Watch it here

5. Don’t Touch My Hair – Solange

Another seminal black artist that deserves a spot at any table. Solange has fantastically blended her personal experiences into poetry. Treat yourself to some of her music.

BEST LYRIC: Don’t touch my hair/When it’s the feelings I wear/Don’t touch my soul/When it’s the rhythm I know

Watch it here

6. ***Flawless – Beyoncé ft. Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

This song has two fantastic forms, one with Nicki Minaj and this one. I love the spoken addition of Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie’s TED talk personally so that’s the version I’ve included here. Just an honest definition of what it means to be a feminist in the simplest of terms.

BEST LYRIC: I took some time to live my life/But don’t think I’m just his little wife/Don’t get it twisted, get it twisted/This my sh*t/Bow down b*tches

Watch it here

7. Love Myself – Hailee Steinfield

An amazing song about the power of loving one’s self, removed from the validation of a partner. This song can be heard as just about emotional self-love, but there definitely is another side to it being about physical self-love also. Regardless, it’s an empowering bop, reminiscent of the Spice Girls!

BEST LYRIC: I’m gonna put my body first/And love me so hard ‘til it hurts

Watch it here

Images: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8