This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

If you’re a single heterosexual female student right now, you’re trying to weave your way through the trials and tribulations of finding a straight male university student to fall in love with, like you’re supposed to, according to every movie ever.

It’s like you’re trying to find a needle in a haystack, but a needle that doesn’t have weird emotional ex-girlfriend issues, or a toe fetish. It’s hard out there (for a pimp) but we’ve all been through it. You think everything is going great, you’ve been hanging out with a nice, normal guy and then one day the line hits you like a freight train full of your happiness “I like you but…” and anything after that little word is total and complete nonsense that will ring through your head until you’re comparing your love life to Taylor Swift break-up songs and drinking wine straight from the bottle.

Being a female with female friends, it has become apparent that college boys have been using the same lines since King Arthur wanted to “just fool around.” This is a small news flash to the boys using these lines that you’re not hoodwinking any of us, we know what’s going on. Here are the most common and most hated “I like you, but’s” and what they actually mean:

“I don’t want to take your virginity.”

i.e. I don’t want that kind of responsibility.

“I think you’re looking for more than what I can give you.”

i.e. I’m way too scared to form any type of legitimate relationship after my last one.

“I’m not looking for a girlfriend right now.”

i.e. I just want to fool around, and I don’t want to be tied down to one girl.

“I’m not ready for a relationship right now.”

i.e. I just got out of a relationship less than a year ago.

“I just don’t have the time to like you.”

i.e. I don’t like you enough to put the effort into a relationship right now, and I don’t want to like you because then I’ll have to have a relationship.

“I’m still dealing with my ex.”

i.e. My ex is still dealing with me, and we’re probably still having weird post break-up sex.

“I just don’t see this working.”

i.e. I don’t see myself trying to make this work.

“I need to find myself before I bring someone else into my life.”

i.e. I don’t know what I’m doing but I’m going to try to make it sound like I do.

“You remind me too much of my ex-girlfriend.”

i.e. I only ever go after the same type of girl and then end up perplexed when they remind me of my ex-girlfriend.

“I think we should just be friends.”

i.e. I don’t think you’re girlfriend material but I’ll probably call you when I’m drunk.

Hearing these reasons for someone attempting to legitimize why they can’t be with you, to you, is hard and won’t stop being hard. What you need to remember is that if someone or something is meant for you, it will be for you, and no one else. No use in spending even more time on someone who so clearly doesn’t want to be with you, in the wise words of Jay-Z “I’m on to the next one.”

And a final note to all these college and university boys who are just so against the idea of finding or being in love, I have one thing to ask you:

Credits

Cover Picture1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11

I transferred to uOttawa in September of 2013 from the beautiful University of British Columbia. But don't let that introduction fool you, I'm from Nova Scotia.  I like dresses, I like the Toronto Raptors, I like Christmas, I like bread, I like online shopping, I like Mindy Kaling and I like penguins.