This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

Attention all self-acclaimed foodies. If you haven’t heard of El Camino you might as well be living under a rock. This restaurant, tucked in the basement level of a complex beside Elgin Street Diner, has made a name for itself for serving delicious food – but above all else, some of the best tacos in town.

El Camino at first glance is a dimly lit tiny restaurant. But it only adds to the character of the open kitchen and bar concept that exudes a welcoming and lively atmosphere where you feel as if you are friends with everyone around you. This restaurant is the perfect location to catch up with friends, grab a bite to eat after a long day of work or for a date.

Feeling a little adventurous? El Camino’s serves Ox tongue tacos. Despite your initial apprehension to the sound of a taco made with ox tongue, it will be one of the tenderest tacos you’ll ever taste. Their other meat option for tacos include pork, beef and lamb, all perfectly seasoned and full of flavour. Vegetarian? They also serve a Japanese eggplant taco or if you’re feeling more bold in what you eat, El Camino serves a tuna tartare crispy taco.

If you are looking to start the meal and share appetizers, the restaurant also offers several non-taco options that are all equally as delicious as their tacos. They serve classic appetizers such as chips and guacamole, but their eclectic menu also includes crispy prawn betel leaf, salt and pepper squid, green papaya salad and a steelhead trout tartare tostada to name a few.

To top the night off, I recommend ending your meal with churros. When I say these are the best churros you will taste, I am not exaggerating. Brought to you fresh out of the fryer and coated in cinnamon sugar, it is accompanied with a salted caramel sauce. The best salted caramel sauce that will have you scrapping the bottom of the container.

If you’re in a hurry and don’t have time to wait in line, or get to the restaurant the second it opens (which I really do recommend going at 5:30 PM, you won’t regret the decision of skipping a line up since they do not take reservations) El Camino has a takeout window for those of you who are on the go or heading home after a long night out.

There aren’t enough words in the dictionary to express how great the food really is. Take my advice and check out El Camino for yourself, your soul will be happier for it.

El Camino

380 Elgin St, Ottawa, ON K2P 1M9

Phone:(613) 422-2800

Picture References

1, author’s own collection

Janice Fu

U Ottawa

Janice Fu is a fourth year International Development and Globalization Student with a minor in Political Science. She is currently a writer for the HerCampus UOttawa News Team.