The Science Behind the Cuddle Bug

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

Whether it is late at night, during a movie, or simply holding hands while walking down the street, something about human touch is irresistible to every single one of us. But have any of you ever wondered exactly why this craving comes after us so often? The secret, of course, lies in our bodies. The terminology in here is going to get a little science-y, but I’ll do my best to explain.

Not only does cuddling give you that warm-and-fuzzy feeling, but it also can have some pretty positive affects on mental and physical health of an individual. When human touch is occurring, a hormone called oxytocin gets released into the bloodstream. Where is oxytocin made, you ask? Oxytocin is produced in the hypothalamus, which is a part of the brain responsible for hormone production. When the neurons in the hypothalamus get excited and signaled to release oxytocin, it then shoots through the bloodstream. When oxytocin is produced, it keeps stimulating its own production until a signal in the body is sent to halt the process. In women, oxytocin plays a large role in pregnancy and childbirth by controlling contractions within the uterus.  In men, oxytocin stimulates sperm movement and is produced in the testes.

Now that’s awesome and all, but what does oxytocin have to do with making you want to snuggle your brains out (literally)? In the brain, the oxytocin hormones are chemical messengers that are important in making you feel the things that you feel when forging relationships. It may be hard to believe, but this little hormone can make you feel love, trust, make a mother feel closer to her child, or even play a role in sexual arousal. That’s a lot for a little chemical messenger; where would humanity be without it?

What can oxytocin released by cuddling do for you?

When you cuddle, the release of mass oxytocin can relieve you of a lot stress and anxiety. Not only is it comfy while watching Netflix to no end, but it can also help relieve pain. The shivers and tingles you get while touching someone else is most likely the oxytocin talking, which can help relieve pain and inflammation by increasing the production of prostaglandins. These helpful little messengers alleviate pain during times of injury and illness. Cool, huh?

Blood pressure is also lowered when we hold someone close. Next time you’re cuddling with someone, pay attention to your heart rate as you slowly breathe in and out. Chances are by just remembering this feeling, your state of relaxation has increased a little. As oxytocin rises, they disengage the hormones that keep us on our toes and ready for the flight or fight response if it were to happen.

Not only are cuddles a great way to allow these wonderful effects to take place, but simply hugging a friend or playing with your pets can release this hormone, as well! What better way to spread positive vibes than through cuddles? So next time, don’t forget to cuddle a little bit before a paper is due or while you’re in the midst of exam season! 

Sources

Fusion, Shape 

Picture Credits

Cover Pictures, 1, 2

Jesse Lesniowski, a 22 year-old student at uOttawa in the Environmental Science program. Loves writing, gardening, coffee, wine and making new memories.