Response To: 10 Reasons Why Millennials Are Raving All Wrong

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

Written by Guest Contributor: Miranda Merry

This article is a response to “10 Reasons Why Millennials Are Raving All Wrong

There are so many reasons why I strongly disagree with what is written in the article “10 Reasons Why Millenials Are Raving All Wrong.”. So, I would like to take the time and state exactly why I disagree with almost all of the statements written by the author. Although I respect the author’s personal opinion, I believe much more research should have been done on her behalf as many of the statements made are not factual.

1. There is no talent required: This has been a controversial topic among ravers and non-ravers alike. However, if there really was no talent required, why do so many DJs have ghost producers? Producing music takes real talent, which is why ghost production exists. The live sets require significantly less talent, similar to how for any top 40’s song the real talent and work is the composition of the music and the writing of the lyrics, not necessarily in the live performance. If the skill could be easily taught to anyone ghost producers would be obsolete. There is a difference between throwing together a playlist on iTunes and producing a track.

2. Stupid DJ names: When it comes to what the author considers “stupid DJ names”, this can be comparable to the thousands of indie rock band names that sound like a bunch of nouns thrown together or even immensely famous pop groups such as the “Spice Girls” and “Backstreet Boys”. Although, I will not deny that some DJ names do not make very much sense, this is the artists personal choice and how they choose to market themselves, in my opinion, that is much more respectable than having a band name chosen by a bunch of CEO’s at a record company without the artists input.

3. Every song sounds the same: If you take the time to listen to different DJs within each genre of EDM, you would be able to hear clear differences in the tracks. This is why some people who listen to EDM love house and hate dubstep. If you want some examples, look up Skrillex’s classic “Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites” (which is considered dubstep) on Youtube and compare it to Avicii’s classic “Levels” (which is considered house). Think this is a one off? There are many different genres and subgenres of EDM. A simple search on Soundcloud can turn up searches that are tagged as trap, deep house, trance and chillstep, and listening to just a couple tracks in each genre can help one differentiate between them. When it comes to song lyrics, some deep house tracks I’ve listened to have personally affected me and have much more thought provoking lyrics than popular top 40 songs like Justin Bieber’s “Baby”. For example, “Help me Lose my Mind” by London Grammar and Disclosure is a song I would personally consider as deep house that has very emotionally charged lyrics.

4. Drugs are the only reason it’s popular: This is one of the most infuriating statements in the entire article. The major problem with this statement is that not everyone who goes to raves does drugs, just like not everyone that goes out to bars every weekend gets hammered. This is a generalization. Sure there are a few who pop molly or use hallucinogens, but there are also those who go to these events completely sober. Drugs have been a part of the music culture since the beginning of time. A google search on MDMA shows that like other amphetamines (dopamine and norepinephrine for example), MDMA triggers catecholamine release from presynaptic vesicles. MDMA also is a serotonergic neurotoxin that causes massive release of serotonin.  Typically, MDMA has only 1/10 the stimulating effect on the Central Nervous System of amphetamine. The danger with taking this drug is not in the release of additional serotonin, but rather that a person is less likely to intake adequate fluid as they dance for a prolonged period of time in a warm room in close proximity to others who are also hot from dancing. The dehydration and increased body temperature is what causes cardiovascular collapse, not the release of serotonin. Thus, death does not occur due to overdose of the substance, it occurs because of users mixing MDMA with alcohol, cocaine, or other stimulants. I’m not saying this defends the use of drugs in any way, but to generalize that all ravers use drugs is definitely not a correct statement. There are also a multitude of documentaries online published by BBC that state that MDMA is one of the least dangerous and least lethal illegal drug. Again, I do not condone the use of illicit drugs in any way.

5. Finding Molly: Although it is true that many drugs at live music events are laced with other drugs. A google search could also tell you that ecstasy is a drug with one of the largest profit margins. Why? Because it is extremely cheap to make and sells for much more than what it is worth. What would be the point lacing this cheap drug with a more expensive one like heroin? According to ecstasydata.org, a laboratory pill testing program company, sponsored by Erowid and Dancesafe, states that molly can contain amphetamine, mephedrone, methamphetamine, ephedrine, caffeine and other additives. This is at the risk of the user but once again, not everyone in the edm scene chooses to take molly.

6. Furry boots: I do agree that furry boots are not attractive in any shape or form but this is my personal opinion. If somebody wants to go out and buy furry boots to wear to an event that is how they choose to express themselves. If the writer had taken the time to research an EDM event in Ottawa, for example at Era nightclub, they would have seen that we dress like everyone else that is out in the market for a good time on a Friday night.

7. Oh so sweaty: This is true for almost every music event, not just EDM.

8. Unknowingly robbing the cradle: Most DJ events that take place in Ottawa are either 18+ or 19+. I know this for a fact, as I have a younger sister who also enjoys this type of music and can attend very few events because of the age restrictions. Either way, most of us ravers do not attend events to “ride” others, we simply go to enjoy the music.

9. Waste of funds: This is very subjective. Just like the author may think I am wasting my money spending $50 to see Skrillex’s Mothership Tour, I may think it is a waste of money to spend upwards of $300 to attend a One Direction concert.

10. If you’ve been to one rave you’ve been to them all: Another completely subjective statement. When it comes to EDM specific events, variety exists in the subgenres, the venue, the artists, etc. A prime example of this is Ottawa’s very own Escapade Music Festival that boasts five different themed stages featuring various subgenres of EDM. Just because you have been to Osheaga once before, does it mean you’ve been to every other outdoor music festival? No. Some fans see their favourite artists multiple times, regardless of whether it is a pop artist, an indie band, or a DJ. Why? Because they love the music. I would also like to add once again that these events are not all about doing drugs but enjoying the music.

To conclude, many ravers such as myself have a mentality of PLUR (Peace Love Unity Respect) we respect and accept everyone. To quote a popular DJ, Kaskade has said: “As far as music culture goes, EDM is the one who will accept the kids on the outliers, the ones who get bullied, the ones who feel like they may not quite fit in. This community is exceptional in its ability to bond all types together, and I am not exaggerating when I say it saves lives.”

For decades, we have been hating on each other because of race, religion, sexual orientation, etc. In my personal experience, the EDM culture has united a group of people regardless of these things and will continue to do so for many generations ahead. I would ask the author and others who agree with what is written in the original post to be accepting of others and their individual music tastes.

Peace, love, unity, respect and many thanks to those who took the time to read.