Campus Cutie: Max Kaiser ’15

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

Name: Max Kaiser

Program: International Student-Telfer School of Management

Country of origin: Germany

Relationship Status: Single

Since you’re an international student why did you choose to study in Ottawa?

For it’s bilingualism, Canada has a great market place, it has many raw materials, and even greater business opportunities so that’s why I decided to choose this university.

What do you find most different about Canada compared to Germany?

The assignments. In Germany, all we have is a final exam and sometimes midterms, but we rarely ever get papers, essays, assignments or a large amount of midterms in between the semester. So to have all these things occur before the final exam is very different for me.

What is the craziest thing you have ever done?

One time in France, my friends and I went to a party. We didn’t live in the city but had a place in the area. We didn’t know how to get back to the lodge we were staying at so we tried to get a lift and a fisher truck stopped to give us a ride. Since it was night time the truck driver was driving on a long road to the village side and the speed was 80 mph and he drove at 140 mph! On top of that, not only was he driving so fast, he wasn’t wearing a seatbelt and it seemed he was intoxicated as well. It was a crazy trip back home for me!

Describe yourself in 3 words:

Extroverted, upbeat, mover and shaker (always need to be busy doing something; outgoing)

What do you look for in a significant other? Why?

Honesty. Because I want to know if people are authentic or not.

What has been your worst date?

It happened in Canada actually. I met a girl on a street; she was into me, so we went on a date. We went to eat, everything was good, and we kept a mutual contact with one another. In our conversations age was never really brought up, so one day we were doing couple-like things such as hugging and going to see the parliament together then at one point she asked my age and I told her 21, she looked disappointed and shocked because turns out she was 27!

What does a perfect date consist of?

To have lots of fun. Laughing is important, don’t stick to one place, move around while on the date like site seeing or other activities. Be on the same level of personality with the other person. Keeping the conversation going and being comfortable- no forced conversations.

What are your hobbies?

I like soccer. My favourite teams are FSV Mainz05 and FC Bayern München. I enjoy reading books, especially psychological books related to business. I absolutely love to cook, I do it all the time! I enjoy doing a lot of martial arts. I did judo for 14 years and kickboxing for 3 years, but had to stop due to an injury.

Which countries would you like to visit and why?

I have two countries I would like to visit: Colombia and India. Colombia because I’m interested in understanding the Spanish mentality and discover coffee plato. India because I want to experience its different cultures, get a sense of religion, and intake their awesome food! India as a market place interests me the most and it’s cultural aspects. Discovering Buddhism in India is something I would like to experience.

Any plans after graduation?

Find a job in Geneva or somewhere near Geneva because it’s the number one spot for trading commodities so it would be great to be working in a country that has job opportunities in the field that I’m interested in.

If someone gave you $1 million what would you do with it?

Save it for later. I would take some money to spend it on education. 80,000 euro in education, 20,000 to travel and the rest I will invest.

What’s your favorite thing about Ottawa?

The way of learning. In Germany we only have one exam for each class and classes are always filled with 400 students. I like the system in Ottawa of having students participate in courses. Professors care more about students, there’s a personal relationship amongst student and teachers. It’s surprising Professors even have office hours at the university! In Germany we don’t have any of these close relationship-interaction sort of things, its very distant. Students in Germany only ever deal with the T.A’s, never the Professors. 

Is there something you want do but haven’t done yet?

Taste a beavertail! And experience winter in Canada! 

A lover for music, volunteering, traveling and meeting new people. I strive to learn new things and gain new experiences. Shoe addict, optimistic, outgoing, life is a masquerade ball! ~Live as if you were to die tomorrow, Learn as if you were to live forever -Gandhi~