This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

Whether or not you go take a break from school or work for the summer, there is something about the warm weather that just makes you want to have some fun. Summer flings are just one of these ways, as Willow Smith says “The bright sun and the blue water, we fight less and love harder”.

Summer flings are a glorious creation, it’s all fun and when fall comes it’s all over. It’s a great way to make amazing memories with someone who could end up being a life-long friend. However, with summer flings (as in every type of relationship) communication and some form of conversation on what is and isn’t okay is very much necessary.

Starting the talk
Everything starts with conversation. You won’t get what you want unless you ask for it. It’s as simple as “hey guy I’ve been hanging around with you, I like this, but I don’t want to get too serious because I go back to school in the fall. How do you feel about keeping it casual for the summer?” Then you’ll get a straight answer and won’t spend a month wondering what’s going on and ruining half of your fling.

Don’t Worry
Along with not spending a month wondering what’s going on you don’t want to spend a month wondering if things are getting too serious. So make sure you agree to say something if someone wants to catch some of those dreaded feels. And if it does happen, don’t sweat it. Either re-evaluate the type of relationship or end it, this isn’t rocket science.

Be Open
It is really important to have an open mind when it comes to non-committed relationships, especially if it’s not something you’ve done before. Keep expectations low, but hopes high. The more open minded you are about the situation the more likely you are to have an amazing time. Trust me, this isn’t going to be the Notebook, but it can still be great.

Have Fun
The whole point of a summer fling is to have fun with someone. You know, sit by the fire with your other friends in summer flings, go camping, go to the fair and the waterpark. I should also add here as with any relationship you need balance, make sure you are spending time with your other pals too.

Have a Great Summer Collegiettes!

Picture Credits
Cover Picture, 1, 2, 3, 4

Hello and Welcome to my profile! I am a second year Psychology student at uOttawa as well as a first year writer for the HCuOttawa chapter.